Sushi Republic & Don: Which of Tate Street’s Japanese Restaurants Is for You?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UNCG chapter.

Everyone knows, Tate Street is the place to go when you are tired of eating cafeteria food or getting Chick-Fil-a for lunch and Bojangles’ for dinner every week. Tate Street appeals to multiple food cravings, from Italian to Mexican and even Japanese. Two of the Japanese restaurants that students can enjoy are Sushi Republic and Don. But with two Japanese restaurants, how do you choose?

Sushi Republic lives up to its name by having a sushi bar and a variety of sushi options overall. However, it offers more food options other than sushi: ramen, udon noodles, and fried rice, for example. So if you don’t have the palate for sushi, you still have plenty of options! If you’re like me and you’re not really a fan of sushi, I recommend having the Vegetable Gyoza for an appetizer and the Tempura Udon soup as an entree. The atmosphere of the restaurant is relaxing, and while it may seem small on the outside, there is a decent amount of room so you don’t feel like you’re rubbing elbows with the person at the next table. The quality of the food matches the price tag and the meal portions fill your stomach. Service here is also nice, with a host greeting you at the door and the waiters & waitresses attending to all the guests without letting you wait too long for service. If you wish to know more and scope out the menu before visiting, visit their website: https://www.sushirepublicgso.com.

Don, is a little different than Sushi Republic and offers more dishes related to noodles, rice, teriyaki, and steam dishes. The restaurant itself is a little smaller than Sushi Republic, but what it lacks in space, it makes up for in great food! The appetizers are delicious and their rice bowls are fantastic. My recommendations are the Tonkatsu Rice Bowl and Udon Noodle Soup. The Tonkatsu rice bowl is quite literally a rice bowl, with a fried pork cutlet on top. The Udon Noodle Soup contains mushrooms, scallions, and served in a nice soy-flavored broth. It is a bit pricey like Sushi Republic, but the quality and portions match the price tags here too. The wait time for your food is not bad, and after you pay the check, you’re served some complimentary vanilla ice cream as a small dessert. If that’s not good service, I don’t know what is!

So if you have a craving for a rice bowl, some udon noodles or a nice plate of sushi, I would recommend these restaurants. Having visited both, I found that each restaurant is great in their own way and makes quality food, perfect for a nice dinner out to help you relax after a long week of classes.

I’m a graduate from the University of North Carolina at Greensboro, and I’m an aspiring writer. I’m a total Dominirican (Dominican/Puerto Rican) nerd that loves books, video games and Japanese anime. I aspire to write my own book and be a published author.
.