katie harp dRCjgmc4B8I unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
katie harp dRCjgmc4B8I unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Career

Stuck Between the Green and an Endless Dream

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UNCG chapter.

For the longest time, liberal arts degrees have been looked down upon by some and not viewed as desirable as other majors. These include Fine Arts, Theatre, Music, Philosophy and even English to name a few. Some people against majoring in these would say that these majors don’t make enough money or they are not what’s needed in today’s economy such as how a STEM degree might be. This thinking could cause some students to stop pursuing what they love and choose a career in a field that they are not as interested in, only to end up possibly hating their career later in life.

These degrees aren’t useless at all and they can all be applied in many different ways for many types of jobs. Even if one was worried about money and paying off student loans, it would all depend on how they use their degree. Any major can be useful as long as that person works hard, gains experience, does internships and makes themselves marketable.

In addition, the majority of the time, people majoring in what they love tend to be more motivated and ambitious. The desire to succeed will, in fact, usually lead to their success. All in all, it’s okay to not be too obsessed with the money and instead work in an field that you love. Studying what you are passionate about and what makes you happy is valuable and beneficial.

My name is Anika and I am a student at UNC Greensboro. I'm currently a freshman and have a love for reading and writing.