Street Art- Greensboro Murals

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UNCG chapter.

What is street art? Street art comes in many different forms just like digital art. Also like digital art, street art is a relatively new form of art very prevalent in today’s age. The artrepublic website says that “street art is any art developed in public spaces. The term can include traditional graffiti artwork, as well as, stencil graffiti, sticker art, wheatpasting and street poster art, video projection, art intervention, guerrilla art, flash mobbing and street installations.” In the text it says that “it’s just art placed on the street, where ‘the street’ is taken in a very broad sense to denote, roughly, any urban public space.” I believe street art is classified as any kind of art displayed on the streets and there are a many different places in Greensboro where you can find street art by local artist.

-The Downtown Greenway is a 4-mile long loop that links neighborhoods across Greensboro through public art, sustainable transportation, and unprecedented green space.

-Market Street at Davie Street

-Friendly Ave and North Spring St.

-Spring Garden and South Mendenhall St.

-Elm and Lee Streets

-South Elm and McGee Street

Photos by: Anjelica Martin

All of this street art is part of “No Blank Walls,” an art project established by a group of community leaders in Greensboro. The organizers of all the art are Ryan Saunders, founder of Create Your City, and Jeff Beck, owner of the coffee shop Urban Grinders. So go out and hit the city to see if you can find the art!

Resources: “Street Art in Terms from the Artzine on Artrepublic.com.” Street Art Definition. Web. 8 Sept. 2014.

Hannah Trudeau is a co-correspondent for Her Campus at the University of North Carolina at Greensboro. She is an International Business and Information Systems/ Supply Chain Management double major and is minoring in French. She would love to travel the world one day for work as she loves to learn about different countries and cultures. In her free time, Hannah enjoys reading and catching up with friends.