Spring Broke: How to Plan Spring Break on a Budget

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UNCG chapter.

If you’re like me, you can’t wait for Spring Break – a week-long reprieve from the chaos of the semester.  While many people think that Spring Break must consist of extravagant beach vacations or lush international trips to be fulfilling, this is not the case. So if you’re looking to have a good time without breaking the bank, here are some tips for cheap Spring Break activities.

1. Explore your own town. You don’t have to travel further than your own city to have fun this Spring Break. Take time to visit areas of your town that you have never been to, like shops, museums, or restaurants. Plus, since you won’t have to spend much on transportation, you can have a little extra spending money available.

2.  Volunteer/work. If you want to spend your Spring Break giving back to others, look for volunteer opportunities through your school or community that last the duration of your time off. These trips are usually free or very inexpensive and can be a unique way to get the most out of your Spring Break while enjoying the fulfillment that comes with helping others.

3.  Plan a road trip. One relatively inexpensive way to travel is to take a road trip over your short break from school. This is a great way to hang out with friends over break and travel to see loved ones who live further away. So set up an awesome road trip playlist and hit the road.

4.  Just relax. Despite what has been shown in the media or told to you by others, Spring Break does not have to be a huge, exciting event. If reading a good book, hanging out with your family, or just catching up on your sleep is what you want to do on your time off, then go for it!

Clearly, there are many fun ways to spend Spring Break without blowing all of your savings. However you choose to spend your Spring Break, make sure you are taking time to de-stress from your challenging semester schedule. And don’t forget to celebrate the fact that you have already made it halfway through the semester!

My name is Isabella Whitehead, but I mostly go by Bella. I am currently a sophomore at the University of North Carolina at Greensboro majoring in Consumer, Apparel and Retail Studies. I have been a part of the Her Campus UNCG team since Fall 2017 and will be stepping up this year as a Co-Campus Correspondent. Writing is a passion of mine and I enjoy working with HerCampus to inform, entertain and empower my fellow students.