Spotlight on De’Empress Graves

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UNCG chapter.

AMBITION…. A trait that is imbedded in every successful person. To be ambitious is a skill that every person has to learn. De’Empress Graves represents this idea of ambition = success, for she has used her ambition to achieve many goals, even when she doesn’t think she has done that much! Just to give you a little taste of her success, I will list some of her accomplishments including: at nineteen years old, she is already a senior in college at UNCG; she has been given a position working with an official corporation in her town; and she has already been offered jobs once she graduates!

So how does she do it!?

Well, look no further than our exclusive interview with her below to see inside the mind of this ever evolving young lady!

1. What is the definition of ambition to you?

“The definition of ambition and motivation is one in the same in my opinion. With the exception of ambition is the state that it is external vs motivation which is internal. Meaning, that people on the outside can peep your motivation. It boils down to, if other people can see your motivation and hungriness for something then employers would too. Ambition isn’t setting unrealistic goals or having a dream that you aren’t working for in the end. It is having the drive that people actually see your dream and they are willing to be of service to help you redeem that by investing in you.”

2. How do you set your goals?

“My goals are always premeditated, I set my goals by choosing things that realistic but, push me beyond my depth. If I can obtain a goal easily then it wasn’t a goal, it was just something to do. Goals should never be undemanding to accommodate whether the goal is a short term or long term it should be something you always [work] hard for.”

Her goals: “include but, are not limited to being [in] Corporate Law or working for District Attorney Office in Iredell county or in Georgia”. She plans on continuing her education at Elon University School of Law which is her number one choice for law school.

3. What do you feel like is your biggest accomplishment to this day 

“To be honest, thus far I don’t feel like I have accomplished anything; unrealistic right? But, that stems from a [personal] definition of an accomplishment. Personally, I think that me reaching a “big” accomplishment is unrealistic; once I get the impression that a goal I’m trying to meet is prevailed not hard to reach then I set my idea of an accomplishment further out to something of greater heights.”

4. What music do you listen to motivate yourself? Movies? Books?

“Music that motivates me is rap and 90’s music people such as Rick Ross, Wale, Jagged Edge and others among those lines. There [aren’t] any movies or books that seem to motivate me, at the very least I can say Emanuel Law Outlines motivates me to be the successful lawyer that I want to be.”

5. What advice would you give to someone that wants to start achieving their goals?

“Advice that I [would] give someone that wants to start achieving their goals, is to stay motivated. Motivation isn’t something everyone has but, I can tell you how I do it. Even though I am a young graduate at the age of nineteen, I don’t compare myself to what people my age have, thinking that I am ahead because the nineteen year olds are just now starting college but, I look at the people who already have the degrees and I compete with them. Once I obtain my Juris-Doctorate and pass the bar I will then, at that point, compare myself to lawyers that already [do] that job and start creating goals within that range. If you feel like you are behind, that should always motivate you to catch up.”

Hannah Trudeau is a co-correspondent for Her Campus at the University of North Carolina at Greensboro. She is an International Business and Information Systems/ Supply Chain Management double major and is minoring in French. She would love to travel the world one day for work as she loves to learn about different countries and cultures. In her free time, Hannah enjoys reading and catching up with friends.