Smash the Scale Event

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UNCG chapter.

Body positivity and positive self image are two things that we at Her Campus @ UNCG think are incredibly important, so we are very excited to be participating in an event on campus to promote them! This week, our Instagram is being taken over by positive messages to get all of our wonderful followers feeling amazing about themselves. Next week, we’ll be posting articles surrounding these topics to get everyone excited about an opportunity to be involved in on campus!

The UNCG chapter of the American Association of University Women (AAUW), is hosting a “Smash the Scale” event on Wednesday, March 21 from 11:00 AM-4:00 PM on the EUC Lawn, and members of HC @ UNCG will be out there as well! This is the third day in a series of positive self image activities that will occur on campus, hosted by AAUW. Monday, March 19 will be #MirrorlessMonday to remind us all that we look great and that we don’t need a mirror to tell us that. Tuesday, March 20 is “Quotes on the Lawn”. You will find lots of positive quotes posted around the EUC lawn to get you loving yourself. Finally, “Smash the Scale” will be the last event, and we are hoping to see all of you out there throughout the day!

AAUW UNCG focuses on ending sexual assault on campus, being politically aware, and of course empowering women. When asking their President, Catherine Iszard, why she started the chapter she shared with me that she started AAUW at UNCG after she attended a Start Smart event on campus. There she learned about the gender inequality gap and was moved by the Greensboro Chapter of AAUW. While there are a lot of great and empowering groups on campus, the AAUW’s focus on sexual assault and the gender wage gap along with the inclusive atmosphere is what drove her to bring it to our campus. Just established in December, they are “hitting the ground running this semester”.

When you stop by on Wednesday you will have the chance to smash a scale, write yourself a positive message, get some candy, win some free stuff, and get to know the UNCG chapter of AAUW as well as HC @ UNCG! Our team will be running a table with 8 different giveaways, so don’t forget about us! We want you to leave feeling like the superhero you are!

For more info about the event and AAUW, be sure to follow AAUW at UNCG on Instagram!

I am currently a student at the University of North Carolina at Greensboro. I am double-majoring in Business Administration with a concentration in Human Resources and Women's and Gender Studies. I love my university and the diversity on campus is important to me.
Hannah Trudeau is a co-correspondent for Her Campus at the University of North Carolina at Greensboro. She is an International Business and Information Systems/ Supply Chain Management double major and is minoring in French. She would love to travel the world one day for work as she loves to learn about different countries and cultures. In her free time, Hannah enjoys reading and catching up with friends.