This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UNCG chapter.

After starting college, many students soon realize that a large part of their experience on campus is determined by the professors that they have in class. College professors can be very impactful and influential in the lives of their students, and when you find a professor who helps you understand more about yourself, not just the information for a test, it is a wonderful experience. Having personally been in five of Dr. Kemerly’s classes and seeing her interactions with me and my fellow classmates, I can confidently say that she has been that influential professor for many UNCG students.

Dr. Trish Kemerly, who has been teaching here at UNCG since 2012, originally came from a journalism background, with jobs at a newspaper and magazines, but decided on a career as a professor of Consumer and Retail Studies after participating in the UNCG PhD program and falling in love with teaching. She loves engaging with students during this specific time in their lives, helping them “realize their potential and how they can contribute to the world.”

She not only cares about what students are learning in the classroom, but also about what is happening in their lives outside of school. When asked what advice she would give to college students, she said, “Enjoy where you are and absorb a lot of what college is about. The most important thing about college is exposure to new ideas.” We all know college can be tough, but sharing with others and learning from their experiences shows you just how much we can all relate to one another. According to Dr. Kemerly, “It makes you more human to understand that everybody is struggling with something.”

When she’s not found riding her horse, shopping for vintage boots, playing with her dogs or hanging at events run by Ethnosh, the nonprofit she participates in, Dr. Kemerly teaches many cool classes at UNCG, such as Survey of Historic Costume, Principles of Design and Technology, Fashion Marketing, Social Psychology of Dress and more. I would highly recommend taking any of her courses or just stopping by her office in the Stone Building to say hello!

My name is Isabella Whitehead, but I mostly go by Bella. I am currently a sophomore at the University of North Carolina at Greensboro majoring in Consumer, Apparel and Retail Studies. I have been a part of the Her Campus UNCG team since Fall 2017 and will be stepping up this year as a Co-Campus Correspondent. Writing is a passion of mine and I enjoy working with HerCampus to inform, entertain and empower my fellow students.