Style

Poppin’ Tags: The Ultimate Thrift Review

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UNCG chapter.

Thrift shopping is one of my favorite things to do! However, it really takes time and effort for the endeavor to be worthwhile. Here are 5 great thrift stores right here in Greensboro!

1. Freedom House Thrift

Address: 3724 Battleground Ave

Atmosphere: 10/10

Price: 6/10

Organization: 10/10

Staff: 10/10

Freedom House Thrift is a great place! They have unique finds at reasonable prices! Prices vary due to quality (but SO worth it). By far my favorite thrift store!

2. Goodwill

Address: 3921 Battleground Ave

Atmosphere: 5/10

Price: 10/10

Organization: 5/10

Staff: 6/10

Large store and huge selection. It has a lot to offer, more than other Goodwills in the area. Wonderful selection of books and furniture! Is busy at times, but a great place to find great items.

3. Design Archives

Address: 342 S Elm St

Atmosphere: 10/10

Price: 1/10

Organization: 10/10

Staff: 10/10

The Design Archives is an amazing place! It is filled with different and fun vintage finds! The staff is nice, the atmosphere is quirky, but the prices can be steep. Depending on the type of clothing you choose prices vary. It is a great place to escape to and splurge every once in a while.

Here are two more stores right here in Greensboro that you can check out and explore for yourselves!

4. The Bargain Box

5. Blessingdale’s Thrift Store

Also, here are a few tips to make your shopping trip a success!

To have a  truly successful thrifting day you must plan. Have a schedule. Look up store hours. Know which stores you will hit first and which ones you will hit later. Have a specific time budget for each store.

Strategize the store. I usually work from the front of the store to the back, being thorough with each aisle and section.

A big part of shopping, if not the major part, is the money. Having a set spending plan is key that way you don’t overspend.

You must have a quality standard. You may find something super cute but it has a few holes. Never get anything with major stains or holes.

Get the correct size. Buying more than one size too big is a problem. The same goes for smaller items. If you have to squeeze into those cute pants in the dressing room you’re going to squeeze into them forever.

Have a vision. Is this similar to something I already own? Is this truly a new addition to my wardrobe? Can I specifically imagine this piece in an outfit? Do I own other complementary pieces that I can make a full outfit with?

Keep these tips in mind the next time you go thrifting to get the most out of your experience!

Hi I'm Tiffany and I'm a second-year Music BA and Arts Administration double major and French minor! Some of my favorite things include fluffy dogs, good coffee, scary movies, and late-night binges of van conversions on youtube! When I'm not writing for HC you can catch me hanging with friends downtown, jamming in the music building, or leading at church.