This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UNCG chapter.

Dear Seniors,

I know you’re in the thick of it right now. You’re deciding what to do with the rest of your life (or so it seems). You’re choosing between a million different options from entering the workforce to grad school to just going home and hiding under your covers for a year or two (fyi this might not be your best option). You’re overwhelmed. Trust me, I get it. I’m in the same boat. During my time as a senior so far this year, there are a few things I’ve learned/realized along the way that make this time a little less stressful.

First, you are not actually deciding what to do with the rest of your life. You’re deciding what to do next, whether that’s for a few months, a year, a few years, or maybe you have found your dream situation and do want to stay where you are forever. For most of us, that last situation is not the case; therefore, it is important to remember this when looking at your options. Don’t get bogged down thinking that you have to be on one certain path, explore your options and find out what works best for you (or even what doesn’t, sometimes you have to narrow things down by finding out what you don’t like).

Along the same lines as the last bit of advice, be ready to adjust your plans. For me, I thought I knew exactly where I’d be next year at this time. If you would have asked me last spring, I would have definitively said grad school. However after some thought provoking advice this summer and a lot of research this semester, that certainty is gone and I’m not at all sure where I’ll be next year. This was a very difficult realization for me, a person who likes to plan everything out, but I am learning that my options are endless now that I’ve let go of one plan. It’s definitely scary to realize that a plan you’ve had for years might not work out, but try to put a positive spin on it and see all of the opportunities you’d ignored before.

Overall, it’s clear this is an extremely stressful time and you are definitely making some of the biggest decisions of your life. Just remember you’ve got options. You’ve got time to try different things and find what you do/don’t like and to make plans and then break them because something better comes along. Take things one step at a time and always look out for new, exciting opportunities. You’ve got this Seniors!

Good luck with your decisions and try not to let the stress overwhelm you.

Best,

Another Struggling Senior

Hannah Trudeau is a co-correspondent for Her Campus at the University of North Carolina at Greensboro. She is an International Business and Information Systems/ Supply Chain Management double major and is minoring in French. She would love to travel the world one day for work as she loves to learn about different countries and cultures. In her free time, Hannah enjoys reading and catching up with friends.