This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UNCG chapter.

Attention Spartans, particularly those of you pursuing a degree in the Bryan School of Business and Economics (a.k.a. bae)! There is a course you are required to take called MGT 330: The Legal Environment of Business, and you are going to love it. I, like many, was not exactly ecstatic when registering for this course as law is not something I was very interested in, but I want you to know that you should be very excited.

As a business major, looking to go into HR, I have gotten a lot out of the class and know that the information will be useful in the future. Learning and retaining this information however, can at times be difficult mainly due to the large amount that there is to know. My advice to you is to take the course in the best form for you as a learner, whether that be in class during the day, a night class, or an online class. I chose to take it in class at 9:00 AM, and have no regrets about this at all. Getting the face-to-face time is very helpful for me, not to mention Attorney Eloise Hassell is a wonderful professor who strives to do as much as humanly possible to help her students succeed. But have no fear independent learners, the online sections are led by the equally wonderful Attorney Robin Britt!

Unfortunately, the time and form of your section are not enough to ensure success. As with any course, you need to stay on top of the work and especially the readings. Eloise Hassell’s advice is to, “be excited about learning [and] be 100% there”. Take your quizzes, study for your exams, pay attention in class and do any extra credit that is offered to you in the in-class sections. (This is helpful advice for any class you’re in, from Accounting to German). Give it your all, and I promise you will not be disappointed.

Above all else, don’t be afraid to ask questions (especially since this counts toward your grade in the face-to-face sections). For those of us who don’t spend much time in the realm of law, some things will be harder to understand. Don’t leave it at that though, be proactive! Go to office hours, participate in reviews, and form a study group. By the end of the semester you’ll be wondering why you were worried about MGT 330 at all, and you will come out with mounds of useful information for your future career.

As my semester in MGT 330 comes to a close I have found that I am thankful for it for many reasons, it is the season for thankfulness after all. I have learned many lessons pertaining to law but also things about myself. I have learned the best study habits for me and how to motivate myself to get work done. But the most important skill I have picked up in the course is to consider how the lessons I learn apply to my future career. So, for all of you Spartans who have registered for MGT 330 in the spring, or who have it on your graduation plan, don’t stress but instead get excited about it.

Wondering if you’re eligible for this or other courses? Visit the UNCG Undergraduate Bulletin.

I am currently a student at the University of North Carolina at Greensboro. I am double-majoring in Business Administration with a concentration in Human Resources and Women's and Gender Studies. I love my university and the diversity on campus is important to me.
Hannah Trudeau is a co-correspondent for Her Campus at the University of North Carolina at Greensboro. She is an International Business and Information Systems/ Supply Chain Management double major and is minoring in French. She would love to travel the world one day for work as she loves to learn about different countries and cultures. In her free time, Hannah enjoys reading and catching up with friends.