How You Can Help After The Election

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UNCG chapter.

The past week has been filled with reports of hate crimes in the media due to the results of the Presidential Election. With a lot of fear circulating throughout the country, it can make you feel helpless. Now is the time to take action in a show of solidarity to speak out, assist and volunteer ourselves more than ever. If you’re unsure as to what you can do, here are a few organizations that could use your help:

Student organizations at UNCG

Browse the list of organizations to see how you can make a difference on campus.

Democracy North Carolina

“nonpartisan organization that uses research, organizing, and advocacy to increase voter participation, reduce the influence of big money in politics and achieve a government that is truly of the people, by the people and for the people.”

Free The Vote North Carolina

“Free the Vote North Carolina is a non-partisan political action committee, founded in 2008, dedicated to protecting freedom of speech, association and the right to vote of every North Carolinian through education, research, outreach and legislative advocacy.”

Planned Parenthood

“delivers vital reproductive health care, sex education, and information to millions of women, men, and young people worldwide.”

National Organization for Women NC

“NOW works to eliminate discrimination and harassment in the workplace, schools, the justice system, and all other sectors of society; secure abortion, birth control and reproductive rights for all women; end all forms of violence against women; eradicate racism, sexism and homophobia; and promote equality and justice in our society.”

NAACP North Carolina

“to ensure the political, educational, social and economic equality of rights of all persons and to eliminate racial hatred and discrimination.”

Disability Advocates & Resource Center

“a non-profit organization which seeks to empower people with disabilities to achieve their desired level of independence.”

Council on American-Islamic Relations

“enhance understanding of Islam, encourage dialogue, protect civil liberties, empower American Muslims, and build coalitions that promote justice and mutual understanding.”

Uniting NC

“Uniting NC works to make North Carolina a place in which all people, including immigrants, have the opportunity to thrive and to engage in their communities.”

PFLAG

“PFLAG is a nationwide network of local grassroots groups providing support, education and advocacy for LGBTQ individuals, their families and allies.”

Equality North Carolina

“Equality NC is dedicated to securing equal rights and justice for lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, and queer (LGBTQ) North Carolinians.”

This is a just a quick list of some local organizations, but don’t hesitate to take initiative in researching causes to find out how you can become involved. Please look out for your fellow students on campus as well as reaching out if you feel you need help. Stay safe!

Hannah Trudeau is a co-correspondent for Her Campus at the University of North Carolina at Greensboro. She is an International Business and Information Systems/ Supply Chain Management double major and is minoring in French. She would love to travel the world one day for work as she loves to learn about different countries and cultures. In her free time, Hannah enjoys reading and catching up with friends.