burgess milner OYYE4g I5ZQ unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
burgess milner OYYE4g I5ZQ unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UNCG chapter.

As a college student, one great shopping resource that a lot of us depend on is thrift stores. Not only can you build your wardrobe on an affordable budget, but you can also carefully curate looks that give you a unique, budget-friendly style leaving others to wonder “how does she do it?”

While thrift stores can be very helpful, I sometimes find myself accumulating things that don’t necessarily create the look I want. I have noticed that I tend to buy things, maybe a top for example, but then I’m left without the right shoes or the perfect fit of denim to complete the look, so it ends up sitting in the closet collecting dust and being a waste of money (especially if I have to go and buy something else to go with it). With that being said, I’ve decided to make a plan to ensure that I am buying just the right stuff. Maybe these tips can help you avoid this kind of problem too!

Tip #1: Decide on a couple looks BEFORE you go shopping. It can be tedious, but it will help a lot. Taking about 10-15 minutes to plan ahead will give you an idea of what to look for before you step foot in the door. This will also stop you from buying that one random thing you thought was a good idea. If you can’t use it to complete an outfit it’s better to just save your money.

Tip #2: Use your phone. When you’re out shopping and you come across something that fits your style, get on Pinterest and search for a similar item so that you can find some good examples of how to wear it! I also like to bookmark outfits that I love on Instagram so that when I’m shopping I know what to look for.

Tip #3: Don’t break the bank. The whole point of thrifting is to stay within budget. There is a phenomenon out there in retail that causes you to get something just because it’s on sale. If you’re really trying to stick to your budget, don’t go out of your comfort zone just because you think you’re getting a better bargain!

I hope these tips improve your thrifting experience and help you create some stylish, inexpensive looks!