How To Avoid Social Media Addiction

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UNCG chapter.

Facebook, Twitter, tumblr, Insta. It seems like the list goes on and on and on. Many of us scroll through these sites at least a few times a day. But if you’re like me it can sometimes be excessive and mindless. I find myself closing out one site just to open it right back up because I forgot that I just looked at it. So how do we keep from being social media consumed zombies?

First, find other ways to entertain yourself. Read a book, go to the gym, join a club, or find a hobby. Not only will this keep you from becoming a social media junkie, but it will allow you to explore yourself. Maybe you will find that you love to paint or that you’re great at puzzles. Joining a club brings new friends and more opportunity to get out in the real world. (Interested in joining Her Campus at UNCG? Send us an email at uncg@hercampus.com!) You never know where you will end up when you separate yourself from your screens.

Second, try making a to-do list that you must complete before opening your favorite social media platform. Getting updated on what’s going on with friends or your favorite celebrities is not a bad thing. Social media is not evil. But to keep it in check make sure it doesn’t come before your responsibilities. Once the list is completed, give yourself a nice long cat video break. There’s no shame in a little relaxation.

My final tip is a doozie; delete your account. This is of course the extreme for those times when everything in your day seems to be driven by liking a new picture on Instagram or sharing a quiz with your friends. If you just need a little break try deleting the apps on your phone for a week and see how things change. Who knows, maybe you’ll find that you’re better off without them!

Social media is great in many ways, but sometimes it consumes everything. Take control, don’t become a zombie! Let us know if you have any other tips below.

I am currently a student at the University of North Carolina at Greensboro. I am double-majoring in Business Administration with a concentration in Human Resources and Women's and Gender Studies. I love my university and the diversity on campus is important to me.