HC Survival Kits: Fall 2017

This is a sponsored feature. All opinions are 100% from Her Campus.

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UNCG chapter.

A few times a year Her Campus sends out “Survival Kits” with samples of goodies for our team to try (which is another great perk of writing for Her Campus) and to share with you all! This semester’s kit included some great products from a variety of fantastic brands. I had the great opportunity to test a few of these products, and let me tell you, there are some real gems this time around. If you like what you see, keep an eye on our social media of more information and a giveaway! Here’s some info on the goodies we received:

Aeropostale: Seeing the Aeropostale packaging was a nice surprise when opening the survival kits. They sent a variety of fashion items including sunglasses, rings, earrings, chokers, hair ties, scrunchies, headbands and wallets. These will all be amazing accessories to go along with Aero’s denim clothing items and truly finish off your fall look! Nothing like a great pair of jeans, and Aero does it right.

• The rings and earrings are gold plated and super cute and simple, and they come with sets so you get multiple. Ring-stacking is in style and Aeropostale did a great job with these rings.

• The chokers are a faux-leather and come in silver, pink and gold. It’s nice to see something different from the classic black choker and I would wear these out any day.

• The hair ties are glitter versions of the cloth hair ties that won’t leave creases in your hair. They’re super cute and add a cute accessory or pop of color to your hair if you want a most subtle statement. Scrunchies are totally back in-style, especially with the 80’s/90’s influence. They come in navy and black and are a soft velour/velvet material.

• All of the sunglasses are super cute, and comfortable to wear. I love sunglasses and am always looking for new styles to try. The gold frame goes with any outfit and Aeropostal wasn’t afraid to go retro with their looks.

• I, personally, am not a big headband person, but these headbands are cute. The simple twist look almost looks like a braid in your hair and they are lightweight so if you have a sensitive head these are definitely for you.

Freeman Beauty: The Freeman Feeling Beautiful masks are wonderful! Manuka Honey & Tea Tree Oil Clay Masks, Rejuvenating Cucumber & Pink Salt Clay Masks, and Polishing Charcoal & Black Sugar Gel Masks filled our Survival Kit, and I tried them all out. Each has its own benefits, uses, and ingredients!

• Freeman Feeling Beautiful Detoxifying Charcoal + Black Sugar Mud Mask – I’ve never done a gel mask before, I didn’t even know these existed. It’s meant for all skin types, and I have a dry/combination skin type so it was nice that this mask could fit all parts of my face. It was different, but my skin felt so smooth after. The sugar gently exfoliates so it’s great if you have sensitive skin. I definitely recommend using this one weekly.

• Freeman Feeling Beautiful Manuka Honey + Tea Tree Oil Clay Mask + Cleanser- This mask can double as a mask or a cleanser, meaning it’s gentle enough to be used as a daily face wash. It’s especially great for oily/acne prone skin. The mask itself is lightweight and though I’m prone to dry skin, it didn’t dry me out.

• Freeman Feeling Beautiful Rejuvenating Cucumber + Pink Salt Clay Mask – At first application, this mask was so soothing. The mask was cooling, and it tingled a bit as it dried but it felt like a spa experience. It’s a 10 minute mask, and I accidentally left it on for a few minutes too long, which ended up leaving my skin red and irritated. So be cautious and learn from my mistake, follow the directions (located on the back of the packaging)!

BedHead by TIGI: We received four products from BedHead including 2 dry shampoos and 2 hairspray’s. I personally love BedHead and have used many of their products in the past so I was more than excited to test these.

• Oh Bee Hive! Is a wonderful dry shampoo. It is great when it comes to absorbing excess oils and giving volume to your hair. Dirty Secret, another very effective dry shampoo, helps keep your hair smelling fresh and clean!  They both work well to get you through that extra day between washes and keep your hair healthy in the process. My only recommendation is to hold the bottles a few inches from your head when applying and to brush the dry shampoo into your hair.

• Both the Masterpiece Shine Hairspray and Hard Head Hairspray have great hold. Masterpiece Shine is made to help hair hold up against humidity while preventing dryness while Hard Head conditions hair while holding strong, the more you apply the harder it gets! I have enjoyed BedHead in the past, and both hairsprays were able to hold my hair in place without giving me the feeling of “helmet head” or glue in my hair.

Hi-Chew Candy: Hi-Chew are tasty gummy candies that are made with real juice, so the flavoring isn’t too strong or synthetic tasting. They are a great treat, especially during candy season, aka Halloween. Hi-Chew comes in Grape, Cherry, Banana, Strawberry, Mango, Green Apple, and Kiwi flavors, my personal favorites are Green Apple and Grape. You can even get them at most of the places you shop, including Walmart and Target!

Spindrift: Spindrift Sparkling Water is made of sparkling water and real fruit (and that’s all!). I have recently found a new love for this kind of beverage and was excited to try another brand. The two flavors we received were Raspberry Lime and Blackberry. Raspberries and blackberries are my favorite fruits, and I already add lime to all my drinks so I was curious how these would taste. I was please in tasting that the flavoring isn’t overpowering and it’s reminiscent of sorbet.

They are definitely refreshing, and the Raspberry Lime is my personal favorite. Spindrift Sparkling Water is also great in cocktails/mocktails. My roommate and I tried adding the Raspberry Lime flavor to a Moscow Mule and it was great! Other flavors include, Lemon, Cucumber, Grapefruit, Orange Mango, and Strawberry.

Erin Condren: The Hardbound LifePlanners from Erin Condren are so cute and perfect for getting a busy college schedule organized. The theme is beautiful allowing for personalization and it can fit right in your purse or backpack easily!  I personally write too big to use this size as my school planner but there is a larger size as well. They do have thin pages so I recommend pens that don’t bleed through when writing.

L’oreal Paris:  L’oreal Sublime Bronze came to us in two forms, Self-Tanning Towelettes and ProPerfect Salon Airbrush Mist, both in Medium. The mist is less likely to stain your hands than lotion and all forms are great to get you ready for Holiday cruises and vacations!

Steripod: I personally love Steripod. They’re easy to use and keep your toothbrush clean while traveling, whether across the world or just up the hall to a community bathroom. I still keep one on my toothbrush in my own bathroom, just to keep it all clean. They come in a variety of colors, mine is green and matches my toothbrush, and just clip on to cover the head of your brush. They’re great for traveling or if you just want to keep your toothbrush clean daily!  

All in all, this HC Survival Kit is a huge success in my book, keep an eye out for your chance to win!!

I am a student at UNC-Greensboro and am double majoring in International and Global Studies and Peace and Conflict Studies with minors in Dance and Spanish. I have always had a passion for writing, and love being involved on campus. I recently studied abroad in Cape Town, South Africa and hope to go back some day.
I am currently a student at the University of North Carolina at Greensboro. I am double-majoring in Business Administration with a concentration in Human Resources and Women's and Gender Studies. I love my university and the diversity on campus is important to me.