Going to a Concert Alone? Here’s some Advice

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UNCG chapter.

For many young college women, attending a concert alone sounds frightening. These fears are understandable, especially when we’re at a high risk of facing sexual assault.

I went to my first concert alone, and I had the best night of my life. The music was fantastic and I danced so much that my legs were sore the day after.

As fun as that concert had been, it was also a great learning experience. If you plan on attending a concert by yourself, here’s a few words of advice.

1. Check to see if you can bring pepper spray.

Since pepper spray is considered a weapon, most concert venues won’t allow it inside. The concerts that I’ve been to didn’t allow pepper spray, so I had to walk back to my car without that protection. It was scary, and my heart was racing with each step I took, but I stayed alert and aware of what was around me.

2. Be aware of your surroundings.

This is especially important if the concert is in an area that you’re unfamiliar with. It’s better to walk near street lights so you can see what’s around you instead of being in complete darkness and unaware.

3. Fully charge your phone or bring a portable charger.

Our phones are so important. You can let your friends and family know your location through text messages or social media. And in case anything serious happens, like a flat tire, you don’t want to be stuck without your phone.

4. Park close to the venue and in a well lit area.

If you’re able to, try and find a parking spot that’s closest to the venue, preferably under a street light. This way, you’ll be able to see what, and who, is around you.

5. You’ll get cat-called at, but just try and ignore it.

When I left the venue to go to my car, I got called out to at least twice. As frustrating as it was, I kept my mouth shut and sped walked to the parking garage and quickly left. Staying silent doesn’t always work with cat-callers, but it should be your first option in this situation.

6. Enjoy your night!

This is your time to let go and enjoy the music. Stay safe and have fun!

Kirami Bah is a sophomore studying communications. She has an affinity for quotes and loves trying new things. Catch her memes on Twitter @kiramelle.