Career

Girl Bosses of 2018

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UNCG chapter.

Many times in traditional business settings, women face numerous obstacles when trying to climb the ranks, often prompting them to branch out on their own. While there are new female entrepreneurs popping up every single day, here are five girl bosses who have gained success merely by using the resources around them and being ambitious enough to go after their dreams. 

Sophia Amoruso (@sophiaamoruso):

• The only way to start this post off right would be to begin with Sophia Amoruso. Amoruso Is the founder of the retail site Nasty Gal and she is the executive producer of Netflix’s original series “Girl Boss.” She coined the term “girl boss,” and wrote the New York Times Best Seller of the same name. After the book’s release, the catchphrase gained massive popularity and began the start to an empowering movement.

Aimee Song (@songofstyle):

• Aimee Song was featured in Forbes 30 under 30 in 2016 and has become one of the biggest social media influencers to date. Song began her career during her freshman year of college, focusing on architecture, which is what she was studying. Occasionally she would post photos of her outfits, which is what her readers were more interested in. Now, years later, Song has been a brand ambassador for Chloé, Dior, Revolve, Laura Mercier, and Giorgio Armani. She has also written a New York Times Best Seller, “Capture Your Style.”

Babba C. Rivera (@babba.c):

• Babba Rivera was featured in Forbes 30 under 30. Rivera launched Uber in Stockholm, and made it the fastest growing launch in the city. She is now the marketing manager for Uber. Recently she has been managing fashion and lifestyle marketing for Uber, as well as Rag and Bone.

Irene Kim (@ireneisgood):

• Irene Kim began to rise to fame during the spring of 2014 by walking in New York fashion shows. A year later she was named the global brand ambassador for Esteé Lauder. She is now a full time model and has started her own clothing line called Irene is Good, which has been worn by many celebrities.

Yael Aflalo (@yaya_aflalo):

• Former model and entrepreneur Yael Aflalo recently launched her clothing line Reformation. One day someone questioned the sustainability of her clothing, but she assumed her clothes were environmentally friendly because they were sewn from other things or thrifted. After this encounter, she could not put the thought out of her head, and because of this she made her clothing line completely sustainable and eco-friendly.

I hope these girl bosses inspire you to follow your passions and chase down your dreams with perseverance!

My name is Taylor Monk-Watkins. I am currently a sophomore at the University of North Carolina at Greensboro majoring in Biology (Pre-Med) and Religious Studies (Islamic Studies). Writing is a passion of mine as well as other things such as music and fashion.