This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UNCG chapter.

It is not new information that the east coast is currently experiencing a gas shortage because of a pipeline leak. On September 9th the Colonial Pipeline in Shelby County, Alabama leaked about 250,000 gallons of gas. Since then, the pipeline has been closed for repairs. The Colonial Pipeline runs from Houston to New York. According to company estimates, the major pipeline serves an estimated 50 million people on the East Coast. The cause of the leak has yet to be discovered, but because of this leak gas prices are expected to be about 5-15 cents more than they have been. Colonial Pipeline reported that it expects to finish construction this week on a bypass that will restore it to full service.

However, in the meantime, in and around Greensboro gas stations are taking the hit and have closed or are on a limited amount of gas. Most Sheetz gas stations have closed their gas to customers. Although, don’t fret you can still get your M.T.O and candy fix for the day. As of Thursday, September 22nd the Circle K gas station by Wendy’s on Aycock Street had gas around $2.15 for regular gas. However across the street the gas station is closed. There hasn’t been as huge a spike in prices here in Greensboro as in other places. For instance, in Georgia the average gas price is $2.32 a gallon.

The good news is that this is fixable and gas stations will be back open and running and gas prices will hopefully go back down. Nevertheless, It is wise to conserve gas as much as possible and be on the lookout for open gas stations. Also, avoid long trips this weekend if you can. Keep in mind the email that the University sent out earlier this week because it is important to alert your teachers if you are unable to make it to class. Remember to keep a look out for more emails from teachers and the University.

Source: CNN

a writer and editor for the UNCG chapter of Her Campus.
Hannah Trudeau is a co-correspondent for Her Campus at the University of North Carolina at Greensboro. She is an International Business and Information Systems/ Supply Chain Management double major and is minoring in French. She would love to travel the world one day for work as she loves to learn about different countries and cultures. In her free time, Hannah enjoys reading and catching up with friends.