A “Fair” Share of Fun – Your Guide to Fair Season

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UNCG chapter.

The fall leaves are swirling in the crisp autumn breeze, you can smell the aroma of fried dough and turkey legs, you can hear the roar of the crowd and the screams of the brave souls on the carnival rides. The best part of fall is here!!! Whether you’ve been going since you could walk or you’re a first-timer, here’s a few things to note when going to the classic fall festivities:

1. The Outfit

It’s a tough choice with the typical, unpredictable Carolinian weather, but plaid is definitely a must, even if it’s on the warmer side. I recommend something like this outfit; if you wear a basic, comfy shortsleeve or tank top (like the gray button-down in the photo from Old Navy) underneath the plaid, you can easily wrap the long sleeve around your waist when it gets a little warmer (and you won’t look like a mom, the plaid makes ALL the difference!). The skinny jeans, of course, are a staple with any fall fair outfit, and who doesn’t love cute boots (Target!) to tie it all together? With the boots, however, I do suggest wearing the shorter boots because no matter how cute the knee-high boots are with the boot socks, it might be a little too warm for that (but you better believe I’ll be breaking those out the minute December rolls around!).

2. FOOD

I have three words for you on this subject: TREAT. YO. SELF. Fair food is only once a year, so why not? Go to the gym the next day if you feel the need. If you’re not going solo, I do think it’s better splitting the food with whoever came with you so that you can enjoy a variety of the deep-fried goodness without ending up in a food coma or having to pay a small fortune. And, in case you haven’t dabbled in fair food, I highly recommend the fried Oreos (see photo above- they’re delicious with lemonade).

3. Main Attractions

That, my friends, is completely up to you. If you’re not into carnival rides, don’t pay for that all-rides pass; if you’ve never tried them, buy a ticket for one and see how it goes. Like I said, fair season is just once a year; try things out, and you’ll know what you want to go for (or avoid) next year. If you’re not one for checking out the main attractions, walk around with your date, group, etc. and enjoy the atmosphere. Grab a cup of hot cider and soak in enough fair to last you until it rolls around next year.

If you missed the State Fair, don’t panic! here’s a list of NC festivals and fairs you can still adventure to:

Seaboard Festival- Hamlet

Festival by the Sea- Holden Beach

Carolina Renaissance Festival- Huntersville

Pittsboro Fall Street Fair- Pittsboro

Brevard Halloween Fest- Brevard

Hannah Trudeau is a co-correspondent for Her Campus at the University of North Carolina at Greensboro. She is an International Business and Information Systems/ Supply Chain Management double major and is minoring in French. She would love to travel the world one day for work as she loves to learn about different countries and cultures. In her free time, Hannah enjoys reading and catching up with friends.