This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UNCG chapter.

Relationships, in whatever capacity, are a tricky thing for a lot of people and what we commonly perceive to be love or infatuation might not actually be so. This misunderstanding can lead to many of us getting hurt. Sometimes, however, this hurt is because we are choosing to look past unhealthy behavior expressed by the other person. Blindly allowing feelings of attraction to take over and misguide us can make us ignore obvious signals and messages. As a young man speaking from experience, here are 15 signs you should not ignore when talking to someone.

1. It is always your fault.

2. It is more work than fun.

3. Your enthusiasm is not reciprocated.

4. You are at the mercy of their emotions.

5. You are constantly second guessing yourself.

6. Physical attraction is the main thing keeping you interested.

7. Your friends tell you this person is bad for you.

8. You feel that you are being lied to.

9. They always cancel on last minute plans.

10. You feel that y’all are never on the same page.

11. They aren’t over their ex.

12. You are accused of things you didn’t do.

13. They actively do not trust you.

14. They won’t let you leave without a fight happening.

15. Their words are inconsistent with their actions.

This list consists of just a few behaviors and tendencies that should not be ignored when talking to someone, whether it is an S.O. or someone else, and some of these are issues that can be worked through with communication and understanding. However, it is easier to look past the flaws and potentially toxic behaviors of another person when you are attracted to them. Regardless of the situation, take time to address the issues at hand, try to slow the relationship down, consider having to cut things off altogether, or reach out to someone you trust for advice – whatever you feel is the right thing for you to do.

Trent Ryden Junior Communication Studies Major