This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UNCG chapter.

This week, finals begin and you may have noticed that exams are a common theme among articles. This is no mistake, and to continue this theme we are going to learn a little bit about the study habits of a fellow Spartan. Daniel Hutchinson can accurately be called “Dan the Man”, especially when it comes to hard work and determination. His study skills are something to be admired, and so I only hope that I can pass just a small amount of his wisdom on to all of you.

What is your class standing? Major?

I’m currently a junior Kinesiology major.

Why did you choose your major? What do you want to do with it?

I chose my major because I ultimately want to become a physical therapist and it has the most practical application to that profession. I also chose my major because I enjoy learning about the human body and I feel like I have a good understanding of the major concepts of the major. I also love staying physically active, so it’s a perfect fit for me!

What do others seeking the same degree choose to do?

There is a variety of professions that require a kinesiology degree and people within my degree program choose to be personal trainers, physical education teachers, exercise physiologists, and physical therapists.

During the normal part of the semester how much work do you have in a given week?

It is pretty difficult to quantify how much work I have each week because I like to work ahead in classes that allow me to, so that I can focus on my major classes as well as the science classes that I take.

How much work do you have during the end of the semester?

Not too much work, but there are usually group assignments and projects that occupy my time and attention.

How far in advance do you begin to prepare for your final exams?

It depends on the class. There are some classes that I do not have to study very long for while other classes, such as anatomy, physiology, or chemistry, will need some attention at least one to two weeks before the final exam.

What are some tips you have for students who are looking to improve their study habits?

One of the biggest excuses I hear from people is that they do not have enough time to study. In order to improve one’s study habits there needs to be some prioritizing taking place in your life. Studying needs to be prioritized over binge watching Netflix, spending too much time on social media, or attending every social event you’re invited to. If getting good grades is important to you then there has to be some sacrifice in other areas of your life to ensure that you’re doing what is necessary to achieve that goal. If you are someone who feels like you don’t have enough time to study then evaluate how you are spending your time and assess what you may need to cut back to free up time for studying.

Do you think that studying with friends or studying alone works out better?

I think this is relative to each person. For me, I prefer to study alone and work with the material to figure things out on my own, but if I encounter something that gives me trouble then I will seek out someone who may be able to help me. When studying with friends there is a lot of distraction that could hinder how much time is actually spent studying, but some people prefer to do this and it works for them, so I don’t think one method is better than the other.

How far in advance should students in your major begin to prepare for exams? Can you pass if you decide to cram the night before?

This is also dependent upon the person and how comfortable they feel with the material. The time can vary between the day before or a week before. If you have been going to class every lecture and taking notes and doing the homework then I would suggest starting to study a week before the exam. In my experience I have not done well after cramming for exams, so I would not suggest doing this. I also don’t suggest pulling all nighters for exams. Go to sleep at your normal time and take the exam well rested. The mantra that I tell myself if I am ever in a situation where I have to cram for a quiz or test is that “If I don’t know it now then I will not know it in a few hours”, and that generally has been true in my experience.

If you could talk to your freshman self preparing for his first round of finals, what advice would you give him?

The advice I would give my freshman self would be trust your abilities and to give yourself more time than you think you’ll need to study for an exam. I often found myself doubting what I could do in the classroom even when I was prepared, but that has changed since then, and I often found myself in the cramming situation during freshman year because I thought I gave myself enough time to prepare.

I am currently a student at the University of North Carolina at Greensboro. I am double-majoring in Business Administration with a concentration in Human Resources and Women's and Gender Studies. I love my university and the diversity on campus is important to me.