photos by lanty zUU73lEdcBU unsplash
photos by lanty zUU73lEdcBU unsplash

Cultivation 101: The 5 Best Plants for your Dorm

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UNCG chapter.

Welcome back to Cultivation 101! The article series where I share tips and tricks on how to grow and maintain plants! Today I am sharing the 5 best plants to grow in your dorm. Don’t worry, there’s no experience necessary!

1. Aloe Vera

Aloe Vera is a type of succulent which can grow up to a foot tall into brilliant green stems. Aloe is a beautiful and peaceful plant that not only looks great, but can be used in a variety of ways. It can be used to treat burns, promote healthy skin and purify the air! Aloe Vera needs minimal watering, only once or twice a month, and thrives in bright light. It is a very easy plant to grow and requires only a little patience and care!

2. Ferns

Ferns are native to many forests around the globe and they grow densely near the base of trees so these plants can thrive in low-light situations. Ferns need moisture in their soil and weekly watering; a spray bottle between waterings helps too! Ferns are hardy plants that are easy to grow in small spaces. They will add a decorative and earthy element to any room!

3. Snake Plants

Considered one of the best and easiest houseplants, the snake plant or Sansevieria is a very popular choice among all. Snake plants can thrive in most light (low-high) with a weekly watering. But don’t worry, this little guy can go weeks on end without water still looking fresh!  

4. Devil’s Ivy

Devil’s Ivy is a fast-growing viney climber which can grow to lengths of six feet! This plant looks beautiful on a window sill or on a desk corner. The light and water requirements are simple: medium to low light and minimal watering (once a week in the winter). This vine is hardy and can withstand the busy, and sometimes forgetful, lifestyle of a college student!  

5. Succulents

Succulents are, dare I say, the BEST plant for a college student! They barely need water (once a month or so) and they can survive in most temperatures and light! There are tons of different succulents to choose from based on color, size and shape! Just find some that compliment you and your style! Fun fact of the day: Did you know that cacti are succulents?! A succulent is a type of plant that holds water.

Thanks for tuning in to another installment of Cultivation 101! If you found this article helpful, send messages or pictures of your plants to our HC insta: @hercampusuncg. Tune in next time as I leap into all of the questions about plant health and how to look for signs of sickness in your greenery.

Hi I'm Tiffany and I'm a second-year Music BA and Arts Administration double major and French minor! Some of my favorite things include fluffy dogs, good coffee, scary movies, and late-night binges of van conversions on youtube! When I'm not writing for HC you can catch me hanging with friends downtown, jamming in the music building, or leading at church.