This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UNCG chapter.

America is slowly but surely catching up to the phenomenon that is Hallyu: “The Korean Wave.” K-pop has become a huge sensation as of late in America, due in part to the band BTS. The band has two Billboard Hot 100 Singles and has won multiple fan awards at popular American award shows such as the AMA’s and Billboard Awards. Although K-pop has become a new trend that people know of, many do not know of other addicting Korean entertainment-specifically Korean Dramas. Below I have compiled a list of my top 5 favorite K-dramas that will no doubt have you bingeing them through the night!

1. It’s Okay, That’s Love

It’s Okay, That’s Love, starring Gong Hyo Jin and Jo In Sung, follows the story of a best-selling novelist and a psychiatrist who both suffer from mental illness that is rooted in a childhood trauma. The mental illness factor of the show is what sets it apart from not only Korean shows, but American shows as well. This drama is my favorite show! I have been watching K-dramas since 2014 and nothing has impacted me like this show has. The characters are so quirky and the family and friendship dynamics are explored very well. Because the show deals with mental illness throughout, it sheds light upon the issue while having the perfect balance of  humor and seriousness.

2. Answer Me 1997

Starring APink’s Jung Eun Ji and Seo In Guk, Answer Me 1997 follows a girl who is obsessed with a popular K-pop band H.O.T. in the 90s and follows her friends in high school as they grow up. The entire show will have you on the edge of your seat because not only is it entertaining, but the show switches between the past when the characters were in high school and to the present while they are all at a dinner table. Throughout the drama you will be trying to figure out which characters got together, who broke up, etc. Not only is the drama captivating, but the audience is able to relate to the characters in one way or another.

3. Signal

Starring Kim Hye Soo, Jo Jin Woong and Lee Je Hoon, “Signal” is a crime thriller that is based upon real unsolved murders in Korea. The past and present collide in this drama through a walkie-talkie. A detective in the year 2015 finds a walkie-talkie and is able to communicate with a detective in the year 1989 to solve these cold-cases. By using foresight and hindsight both detectives are able to solve these murders, but not without changing the past and the present in ways they do not intend. The supernatural element of the walkie-talkies will have you on the edge of your seat because the detectives are only able to use it for one minute before it turns off!

4. Age of Youth

This drama follows five female college students who are roommates. What I loved most about this drama was the characters. There are five girls with five very different personalities. One is very shy, one is very bright and pretty, another is the bombshell, one is very hardworking and another is very reserved. While watching the drama, I enjoyed the fact that although they were all different I was able to relate to each of them in a different way. I also enjoyed the fact that each of the girls experienced a personal growth within their lives that made them visibly better people. If you are looking for a slice of life show, this one’s for you!

5. Mask

Mask is the epitome of a Korean Melodrama. This show follows a chaebol (rich heir) who is supposed to get married, but his wife goes missing. His family soon finds his soon-to-be wife’s doppleganger and pays her to take his wife’s spot for the time being. While they are covering up for his missing fiance, they are investigating her whereabouts. If you want to watch a K-drama that is filled with dramatics and seriousness, then this will fill your craving. The drama romance, power struggles and the annoyance of a rich family were portrayed so well that there is no doubt you will be bingeing this on a late night!

K-Dramas have been around for a very long time and with this being said there are so many things that you can watch. From comedy to romance there is bound to be a Korean drama that speaks to you.

My name is Taylor Monk-Watkins. I am currently a sophomore at the University of North Carolina at Greensboro majoring in Biology (Pre-Med) and Religious Studies (Islamic Studies). Writing is a passion of mine as well as other things such as music and fashion.
My name is Isabella Whitehead, but I mostly go by Bella. I am currently a sophomore at the University of North Carolina at Greensboro majoring in Consumer, Apparel and Retail Studies. I have been a part of the Her Campus UNCG team since Fall 2017 and will be stepping up this year as a Co-Campus Correspondent. Writing is a passion of mine and I enjoy working with HerCampus to inform, entertain and empower my fellow students.