To All the Boys I’ve Loved Before Review

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UNCG chapter.

Netflix’s new rom-com, To All the Boys I’ve Loved Before, has captured the hearts of teens and adults alike. The day after the movie’s release it was tweeted about over 3 million times, and has already gained a cult fanbase. The film follows a shy high schooler named Lara Jean (Lana Condor), who writes love letters to all of her crushes… but never sends them. One of her crushes is Josh, the boyfriend of Lara’s sister Margot (Janel Parrish). One day the letters get sent out and Lara Jean uses Peter (Noah Centineo) to avoid her embarrassing confession and feelings towards Josh (Israel Broussard) .

To All the Boys I’ve Loved Before has gained its popularity due to perfectly executing everything that makes a rom-com enjoyable, from the fake relationship trope to both main characters having troubling family history. Before watching the movie, I was curious as to why it instantly became a classic within the span of two days. While watching, I was quickly able to find out why Lana Condor’s portrayal of Lara Jean has captured the hearts of many. Her portrayal is shy, but strong and confident within herself. Another aspect of Lara Jean that captivates the audience is her Korean-American heritage. The character of Lara Jean is someone that anyone can relate to, while Noah Centineo’s portrayal of Peter Kavinsky left many wishing they were Lara Jean.  

The movie sets the tone of a rom-com one would love to see – a sixteen year old’s first attempts at dating. Coupled with the classic rom-com tropes, the vibrant colors, two dreamy male leads and even the soundtrack invite the audience in. This film is refreshing and shows pure love in each of the characters, not just between the love interests, but with friends and family. During one scene in the film, the characters discuss movies that the other has never seen, such as Fight Club and Sixteen Candles. I can only imagine that To All the Boys I’ve Loved Before will soon be a movie that many couples will want to show one another, too.

My name is Taylor Monk-Watkins. I am currently a sophomore at the University of North Carolina at Greensboro majoring in Biology (Pre-Med) and Religious Studies (Islamic Studies). Writing is a passion of mine as well as other things such as music and fashion.