Adidas Spezial Review A/W ’18

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UNCG chapter.

Set against the saccharinely nostalgic backdrop of 1980’s Acid House, Adidas Spezial’s AW18 collection could have been released 30 years prior and still not found itself out of place. Featuring the reinvention of some of their more popular retro trainers, like the Munchen Super, Gazelle (Kate Moss’ favorite trainer) and Marathon, Adidas are no doubt riding the revivalist wave of all things 80’s and 90’s sportswear. The true tie to the late eighties and early nineties lie in the vibrant colorways, the Munchen Super’s sporting a neon green suede makeover and perforated toe cap already approved by rockstar Liam Gallagher. The Lowertree SPZL is the true show stopped, however, with its chunkier silhouette and lavender and teal details over a creme base.

The models themselves were styled with French wedges and half-up-dos reminiscent of a bygone age, clad in heavily badged Spezial anoraks and puffer jackets. The collection also offers two shirts, one long and one short sleeved, featuring equally retro graphics in corresponding colorway to the Lowertree SPZLs and peppered with motifs of the lines distinctive trefoil branding.

All of these minute details are handpicked by the curator of the Spezial line, Gary Aspen. His Instagram (@gary.aspen) is a treasure trove of references to the past, as well as sneak peaks to future releases, complete with throwback photos of celebrities clad in Adi clobber.

Adidas Spezial AW18 collection might be a throwback to the pulsating rhythm of 80’s house, but the look is hardly dated. On the heels of the 30 year anniversary of the UK’s second summer of love (and year of Acid House’s proliferation to the mainstream), the homage has never been more well-timed. As fashion continues to draw from the past to inform the future, no doubt Adidas, and by extension their Spezial line, will be at the forefront of the blast-from-the-past invasion.

Check out these sources below if you want to learn more about the collection!

http://www.dazeddigital.com/fashion/article/41154/1/adidas-originals-spezial-acid-house-aw18-collection-rave-summer-of-love

https://www.highsnobiety.com/p/adidas-spezial-fw18/

My name is Skyler Paschall and I am a freshman at UNCG. I am currently studying to major in Studio Arts, with a concentration in Drawing. I am also very interested in fashion and music.