9 Times Brooklyn Nine-Nine Taught Us Life Lessons

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UNCG chapter.

If you have ever spent more than 5 minutes with my roommates and me, you have probably heard about how much we love Brooklyn Nine-Nine, mainly because it’s hilarious. But there are also plenty lessons to be learned from the many hours spent binging the series.

1. Don’t let others’ hate deter you from working hard to achieve your goals. Captain Ray Holt worked his a** off in a homophobic and racist police force, facing all kinds of hate for many many years. After all his hard work, he proved everyone wrong and became the best Captain, basically ever.

2. Love your family whether they are blood, friends, or just a made up cover. You never know how life is gonna go or who will be there for the long haul, so be sure to appreciate those who make your life happier every chance you get. And above all else, forgive them when they make a mistake. You don’t want to end up regretting the time wasted.

3. It’s the thought that counts. Let’s be honest, we’re all broke. But for those of us who show love through gift giving, it’s important to remember that it truly is the thought that counts. You can put a smile on your person’s face with anything, even an $8 bottle of wine.

4. Don’t be afraid to love someone who is different from you. Jake and Amy live the definition of “opposites attract”. Jake, the messy rule breaker, fell madly in love with Amy, the super organized kiss up, and their love story has us in tears. **Spoiler alert if you aren’t caught up!!** Their difference creates balance and led to what I would say is the best TV engagement of all time.

5. Don’t go full Boyle. If there is one lesson to learn about dating from Brooklyn Nine-Nine, it’s to take it slow. Boyle repeatedly messes things up with his love interests by jumping forward about 5 years by the second date. Remember that it takes time to get to know someone, and that time can be a lot of fun! So slow down and enjoy the ride.

6. Be confident in yourself. Two words, Gina Linetti. Gina oozes confidence in work, in life, in dance, in everything. She works hard and she is proud of what she does, even if it’s less than amazing. Take a page from her book and don’t let anyone break your confidence down.

7. ALWAYS support your friends. It’s hard to pinpoint just one example of the Nine-Nine squad being there for one another. Jake helps make sure Terry’s newest baby is delivered safely. Amy supports Charles as he works to open his own food truck. Charles basically worships the ground that Jake walks on. Rosa helps Charles heal from a lost love. The Captain helps everyone to learn important lessons in life. The list goes on and on.

8. Don’t assume you’re better than anyone else. Hitchcock and Scully always get ragged on for being lazy and/or bad detectives. But when it comes down to it, they’re good at their jobs. Lazy may be accurate, but they can hang with the rest of the squad when they want to. You never know what potential is hiding in people, they just may not want to show you yet.

9. Don’t turn away help. 9 times out of 10, Jake is the one to teach us this lesson. Most notably when he has to move out of his condo because he can no longer afford it. When Gina offers to buy the condo and rent it to him, he turns her down out of pride. While it all works out in the end and Jake learns that it’s ok to accept help from friends, the time in between not only left Jake in a tough place financially but with their friendship as well.

If you need a pick me up and/or a new show to watch, you can’t go wrong with Brooklyn Nine-Nine. But regardless of whether or not you watch it, you can still keep these lessons in mind as you go through life.  

I am currently a student at the University of North Carolina at Greensboro. I am double-majoring in Business Administration with a concentration in Human Resources and Women's and Gender Studies. I love my university and the diversity on campus is important to me.