3 Things to Do Over the Summer to Prepare for Fall

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UNCG chapter.

I love doing nothing during the summer just as much as the next person, but it just makes the beginning of fall semester much more difficult. Here are three steps that could make your college life easier.

1. Summer school

I know that summer school seems expensive and a waste of a free summer but it does help you in a lot of ways. It keeps you focused, so it makes it easier to hop back into the college mentality. Summer courses also give you a chance to potentially boost your GPA. The classes take work everyday but it will fly by! It’s also a bonus if you take it online, as long as you aren’t forgetful.

2. A Weekly Hobby

It’s similar to summer school but you are taking these classes for fun. An example of these classes are: Taekwondo, Belly Dancing, Wine & Painting, etc. These classes are arranged in a similar order to your courses in college, you can make new friends, and you learn new skills that can be helpful for future courses. Not to mention it’s fun!

3. Summer Internship/Job

Working over the summer may not sound like fun, but you can learn new skills for your future degree and impress your future bosses. Depending on your college requirements, you can even get credit toward your degree for completing an internship. But if an internship isn’t for you. volunteering or getting a part time job are great options to grow your skills.

Students often focus on being in the moment and tend to forget about college related tasks until it’s too late. Why not face them head on this summer? The best thing about these suggestions, is that they are flexible. My college career would have been a lot less stressful if I would have done some of these things! But it is not too late, so make the most of your summer, Spartans. 

Just a small town girl, living in an aggressive double standard, minority fetching world.