This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UNCG chapter.

It’s a new semester, and with it comes an overwhelming desire to use that student refund check on some new makeup. But you’ll also need food, and so your Sephora-sized budget has been cut down to drugstore-sized. But that’s not a problem anymore, since a lot of drugstore brands are just as good as – sometimes even better – than some of the higher end products from places like Sephora and Ulta. In order to start this semester off with a fresh routine and face, here are some of the best basic products you might just love! 

1.     L’Oreal Voluminous Lash Paradise has gotten a lot of press in the past few months in the beauty sphere for being a dupe for Too Faced’s Better Than Sex, right down to the packaging. Since mascara is a beauty bag staple, it is definitely better to get the high-end results at drugstore prices.

2.     Revlon Photoready Highlighting Palettes are still relatively new, but they do not disappoint! The four-pan palettes come in Galaxy Dreams and Sunlit Dreams. Sunlit Dreams is more of a bronze-y highlight, while Galaxy Dreams gives off a Kat Von D Alchemist Palette vibe.

3.     L’Oreal Infallible Pro-Matte Foundation is here to keep our faces from looking like we just dug into a box of glazed donuts. With summer still hanging around for a few more weeks, this product is a go-to, even working for those with naturally oily skin. The best part? It works and stays all day.

4.     Almay Best Blend Forever is a good choice for the changing of seasons as skin starts to get drier and bothersome in the colder, drier winter setting. It even has its own sponge applicator at the bottom, so watch out, Beauty Blender.

5.     Maybelline Superstay Matte Ink Liquid Lipstick is another product that’s been getting a lot of press lately. It’s a recent release and already getting rave reviews, so naturally, I had to try it. And I’m here to tell you that all the rave is worth it. Apply lightly and throw some lip balm on top and you’re A-ok for class, lunch, late night snack, and everything in between.

6.     Batiste Dry Shampoo is here to save the day. Generally considered the best dry shampoo in the drugstore, you can pick up a can and no longer have to worry about missing a shower and having oily hair. Perfect for those days when you just can’t get out of bed and hit the shower in time.

7.     e.l.f.’s Eyebrow Kit gives you the best of both worlds when you’re trying to give yourself the very best brow you can on a budget. On one side, you have a wax to define, and the other side, a powder to set them. The kit also comes with a double-ended brush for application, but unfortunately, no spoolie.

8.     Maybelline’s Lemonade Craze palette came out earlier this summer, and while some of the shades transcend the season, most of them will probably be shoved to the back of the makeup box as sweaters are brought to the front of the closet. In September, though, Maybelline will release their Soda Pop palette, a spiritual successor with much more fall-appropriate shades.

9.     Neutrogena Hydro Boost Gentle Cleansing Lotion is a great option for pretty much anyone. This is a combination of a cleanser and a lotion, so if you’re feeling lazy after a long day, Neutrogena’s got you. It’s oil-free, so those of us with oily skin can moisturize without feeling greasy, fragrance-free and hypoallergenic for people with sensitive skin and allergies, and does a bang-up job of keeping skin hydrated.

10.   Maybelline Fit Me Foundations are, dare I say, iconic. 40 shades, 2 finishes in the liquid foundation alone, a stick foundation, and a powder foundation. They are not lying, you really can find something to fit you in this collection.

11.   Wet N Wild Zodiac collection and Fire and Ice Dragons collection both launched this summer giving plenty of time to play with all that these collections had to offer. The Zodiac collection offers the chance to rep your sign around campus with its highlighter, eyeshadows, or lip glosses. The Fire and Ice Dragons collection is a little less complicated, with just loose pigment, eyeshadow palettes, liquid lipsticks, bronzers and highlighters with a classic fire and ice theme. Even so, the colors they’ve picked create some icy hot looks.

Hopefully, this has given you some ideas of how to get a great look at a drugstore price, even if you didn’t see something from here you want to try. There are plenty of dupes and ways around those high-end costs to fit the student lifestyle!

Becca Lynch is an English/Asian Studies double major at UNCG who's passionate about cats, desserts, and bad horror movies. She's the co-founder of the International and Global Studies Student Association (and has a mug to prove it.) She also spent time abroad in Japan at Ritsumeikan University and served as language coordinator for the UNCG Japanese Club for a year. When she isn't swamped with class work, she's planning off-kilter desserts as a personal challenge. You can can reach her by chanting her name three times in a darkened mirror. She'll be with you promptly.