Taylor Swift’s ‘Reputation’ Songs Ranked From Worst To Best

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UNCC chapter.

Taylor Swift’s album ‘Reputation’ rubs everyone a different way yet, she still managed to sell 700,000 copies in one day. As a die hard Swiftie I obviously had to purchase the album and play it on repeat until I knew every word to every song (this quickly became a ritual after I bought my first TS album). Spending this much time with only 15 songs gave me the chance to fall in love with some, and get easily annoyed with others. So, I decided to put together this list ranking the songs from worst to best in case you didn’t want to splurge and spend the $13 on the album yourself.

15. “…Ready For It?

This song completely caught me off guard when I first heard it. It was like I was listening to some sort of wannabe woman rapper mixed with a “Wildest Dreams” type pre-chorus and then it just drops into this ridiculous beat and repeats “Are you ready for it?” In my opinion, the whole song just clashes. It’s not a good song, it’s all over the place and I definitely don’t think it should have been her second single.

14. “So It Goes…”

Hands down the most boring track on ‘Reputation’. It doesn’t give you much to hold on to. The lyrics, the beat – it’s all just blah

13. “Don’t Blame Me”

I had a hard time deciding whether this song or “…Ready For It” was the worst track of all 15. I can’t listen to this song, I actually removed it from my library. It’s way too un-Taylor for me. I’m pretty good about adapting and getting used to her new sound but this song was where I drew the line. It feels like this weird Gospel headbanger that you’d listen to in middle school while cutting your own bangs. Save yourself and just skip this one.

12. “This Is Why We Can’t Have Nice Things”

I don’t hate it, but I don’t love it. The only good part about this song is when she does her signature talking-in-the-bridge and says ““Haha, I can’t even say it with a straight face” referring to forgiveness. Truly iconic. 

11. “I Did Something Bad”

A true head banger. And a first for Taylor too. Did you hear her cuss? Was that really real? “If a man talks shit then I owe him nothing.” Yes Taylor, yes.

10. “King Of My Heart”

I really love the first few lines of this song. When I first listened to it, I truly thought it would be my favorite on the album. And then, I heard the pre-chorus. What is that? It was out of place, very heavily electronic and I just can’t get used to Taylor rapping. I like the chorus though and the overall storyline. The song makes you want to dance around your house and think about someone that you really love.

9. “Look What You Made Me Do”

I’ll admit, when I first heard the song my reaction was, “Is this how the whole album is going to sound?” I was not impressed. After the music video came out, I spent hours searching theories and re-watching the video to catch the reasons behind all of her little “digs”, and each scene. I think this song was the perfect first single, it explained the point of the album and what we were about to expect because the old Taylor is dead.

8. “Gorgeous”

I really like this song. It’s very upbeat and quirky, and it stars Blake Lively and Ryan Reynold’s daughter James. What could be better? The beat, the lyrics, the story… It’s all just the best. I will admit though, I’m not a huge fan of the bridge. Stumbling home alone with her cats? Weird.

7. “Dancing With Our Hands Tied”

Again, another great tune. It’s very old-Taylor. Like 1989 Taylor. It’s easy to relate to, the beat is simple, yet catchy. But the overall song doesn’t do that much. It’s not extra like most tracks on this album, which is something that I really like about it.

6. “End Game” feat. Future and Ed Sheeran

Super weird mix of artists. Taylor Swift, Future and Ed Sheeran? I was skeptical before my first listen, but it was easy to like this song. I’m a huge fan of Future and Ed Sheeran but I’m still not sure I like them in the same song together. Each person’s part is great on their own but throwing them all together was hard for me to get used to. It might take you a few listens, but I know this track will easily become one of your faves.

5. “Call It What You Want”

Personally, I think this is my favorite single. If you’re in a relationship you’ll understand and easily be able to relate to this song. It reminds me of her throwback, “Superman” in a way. It idolizes the person you’re in a relationship with, in a totally not creepy way.

4. “Dress”

Excuse me, but the new Taylor has a… sexy side?!?! I read somewhere that “Dress” is a more hornier version of “Wildest Dreams” and that it’s apparently the one song on the album that her parents just can’t listen to. Is that true? I’m not really sure. It’s a great song and I think it should be featured on the next Fifty Shades soundtrack.

3. “Getaway Car”

Is the old Taylor really dead? Because her country music story telling really shines in this track. A catchy pop tune with an amazing story, it makes you want to rob a bank with a guy you don’t really like and then ditch him at a gas station in the middle of nowhere! The adrenaline rush I get when I jam to this song in the car is too real.

2. “Delicate”

What a heartfelt and vulnerable jam. The lyrics in this song are so raw, “My reputation’s never been worse, so he must like me for me”. This track is probably the most relatable on the album because we’ve all wondered if someone truly liked us for us. We feel you Taylor.

1. “New Year’s Day”

Okay, I’m convinced that the old Taylor Is. Still. Alive. This song rings true to the old her, I mean, it’s a ballad. A love song. One that literally makes you want to fall in love before New Year’s. It really highlights the simplicity of her voice by just including a piano and some small instruments. Easily making “New Year’s Day” the best track on the album. I hope we see a video for it some time soon!

Alissa is a 21-year-old senior at the University of North Carolina, Charlotte. She is a communications major and journalism minor with big plans to move to New York City and pursue a writing career after college. You can find her on Twitter or Instagram @alissaderogatis