This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UNCC chapter.

One morning I woke up after a full night’s rest at about 8 a.m. It was pouring rain, and I just knew it was going to be a nasty, chilly day. I made my breakfast and got ready for my class. I headed to my car, and stopped to get coffee. As I started walking to class I was shivering and just so angry that the weather was so awful and that I had to walk to class in it. So there I was mad at the weather and that I had to go to class…

Then I realized.

I realized I am a student at one of the best universities. I am wearing rain boots and a rain jacket because I can afford to. I am SO blessed and all I can do is complain about the weather in my short walk to a class? I refuse to have that outlook on life especially when I have no reason to complain. Not one.

I feel like it’s so easy to overlook all that we have for the few things that we don’t. That rain did not affect me in any way. There are people in this world who struggle to find drinking water daily. I was cold, but five minutes of walking ended with me sitting in a class for a college with the heat running. There are people in this world who freeze in their own homes because they don’t have things like heat that we take for granted.

So, when I say a rainy morning changed my attitude towards life, it did. Next time maybe I’ll think before I complain about something so small. But I refuse to have a negative attitude just because it’s raining. I am nothing short of blessed and it’s ridiculous to act unappreciative for the life I’ve been given.

I hope your rainy morning comes soon, too. Life is too good.

Alissa is a 21-year-old senior at the University of North Carolina, Charlotte. She is a communications major and journalism minor with big plans to move to New York City and pursue a writing career after college. You can find her on Twitter or Instagram @alissaderogatis