This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UNCC chapter.

Last week I went to a dermatologist for my acne. I’ve dealt with acne since puberty and I decided to consult a professional because of a particularly bad breakout.

About my skin:

I have combination skin. I’m oily in my T-zone and extremely dry on my jawline. My skin is prone to congestion and hormonal breakouts. I have a condition called Polycystic ovary syndrome (PCOS), which contributes to hormonal imbalance and thus creates acne, specifically cystic acne. Cystic acne is painful and the cysts rarely come to a head.

About a month ago my skin broke out in cysts on my chin and forehead almost overnight. They were painful, red, and inflamed. My skin was burning and extremely itchy. I decided to stop using everything, including washing my face and wearing makeup. The only thing I put on my face was water. The burning and itchiness subsided, but the cysts were still red and painful. 

Treatment:

I went to my local dermatologist last week to address the acne. My dermatologist said it was a good idea to stop using everything because something was agitating the acne even further. My dermatologist suggested I stop using facial oils. I was also instructed not to pop the cysts. She said pimples should never be popped, especially the ones with no head. 

My dermatologist recommended I go back on birth control. This will help keep my hormones in check. She prescribed me oral antibiotics and a topical antiseptic called Epiduo. My routine consists of washing my face with Toleriane Hydrating Gentle Cleanser by La Roche-Posay, treating and preventing acne with Epiduo at night, moisturizing with Toleriane Double Repair Face Moisturizer, and applying a mineral sunscreen in the morning. 

Results:

I’ve only been doing this routine for a week. That isn’t enough time to evaluate the effects of the products on my skin. I have noticed decreased redness and the bumps on my face aren’t as elevated. The only negative thing I noticed is purging on my chin area, but this is common when starting retinoid.

Chloe Lanham is a Communications Studies major with a concentration in Public Advocacy and a minor in Journalism at the University of North Carolina at Charlotte. Chloe has a passion for activism, advocacy, and politics. She enjoys feminism *and* vampire romance novels.
Hannah Luke is an English major with a minor in Diverse Literature and Cultural Studies at University of North Carolina at Charlotte. Hannah transferred from Clemson University where she was a writer for Her Campus Clemson, and the Secretary of RHA. She currently holds the position of Campus Correspondent for Her Campus at UNCC. Off Campus, Hannah works as a Copywriting Intern at a recruitment firm, and as a Barista for a local bakery. After graduation, Hannah hopes to be a travel or lifestyle journalist.