you x ventures Oalh2MojUuk unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
you x ventures Oalh2MojUuk unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Career

I Want a Job in Fashion But…

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UNCC chapter.

My name is Isabella and I want a job in fashion… but I’ve had my struggles with accepting it. I am only a sophomore in college, and when I had to declare my major I had a crisis over what I wanted to do for my future career. I have struggled with choosing between my top two possible career fields- being a speech therapist, or having a creative position in fashion. A creative job in fashion would include but is not limited to: an event planner, a creative director, a fashion stylist, a personal shopper, a fashion director, an advertising manager, or a graphic designer. Post crisis and with the help of an abundance of job personality tests, I realized a creative job in fashion was a better fit for me. It was one I was super excited for, but equally nervous about. Ever since I fully accepted that my dream future includes fashion, I’ve been on the journey to accepting it.

Looking back, I probably should have known that I would lean towards fashion field jobs because of how much I loved fashion from a young age and from all the fashion magazines I have in my room. In spite of my obvious interest, I tried to push those thoughts away because I am aware of how difficult this field can be to succeed in. There are also those nagging thoughts in the back of my head when I tell people I want to work in fashion where I worry they might think I will go nowhere in life, I need a plan B, and that no one actually gets a job in fashion. The biggest worry I have is if people are questioning it because of how I’m dressed, and if I’m “worthy” enough to go into fashion. For example, am I trendy enough, do I look stylish, or is my outfit too plain and simple. I have the style I  consider to look good in my own way, but it may not always be on-trend. However, the truth is that I don’t know what goes on in people’s heads when I say that it is my dream job. I have noticed that sometimes I get “the look.” The look is one of doubt about me wanting an unstable, unguaranteed future. So I quickly jump into defense and explain myself.  In reality I shouldn’t have to do this, just like future doctors don’t have to. Why is it that those who want a non-stem job seem to have to try and explain themselves about finding their passion and dream job in a more creative-based field? If this narrative wasn’t so present, maybe I would have been able to accept my passion earlier and I wouldn’t have spent so much time questioning myself or feeling dumb for wanting something I am truly passionate about.  

I’m not saying everyone I have told this to or who know this about me have had this reaction. I have some of the most supportive people around me. My dad is one of these people, and he is constantly tells me about any job that he encounters that he thinks I might like. He tells me the fashion and beauty companies he has worked with and tells me if there are any fashion internships he could possibly hook me up with. My dad was also the one who told me to take a summer course at The Fashion Institute of Technology in New York City, which was one of the greatest experiences of my life. That class made me dream even more about working in fashion.  My mom is another one of my biggest supporters. She makes sure I always have a fashion magazine with me by leading me to the magazine section in the store or she even sends me them! She also takes me on shopping trips, shows me her new clothes, and shows me what she’d consider being a cute outfit for me. My mom always makes me feel like a true stylist and fashion icon by complimenting the outfits I put together. There are also my siblings, grandparents, and friends who know that fashion is my love and will do the small things to remind me they know and support me. I’m very thankful for all of them. Because of my support system, I was able to start my journey towards accepting myself and my dream job in fashion.

I have also pushed myself further into accepting my dream job openly. I started doing this with little things, like looking into my fashion dream jobs more thoroughly and by following those who have great jobs in the field on Instagram. I have also opened up more to friends about the details of what I dream about doing in the field. The biggest step I’ve taken is when someone asks me what I want to do with my communication studies major or after college I now tell them that I’d love to work in the fashion field. I may not be fully ready to explain jobs I’d like, but I’m trying my best to not defend myself. Instead of defending myself, I’m choosing to believe in myself.

I still have my days and moments where I doubt myself and my future, but I’m more capable of bouncing back and believing in myself! I have uncovered so much in this journey by learning more about myself and starting to feel comfortable with one of my biggest passions in life. I hope that you feel comfortable in your future career and can accept it, because it’s you and you know yourself best. I for one can’t wait for my future in accepting myself more and knowing that no matter which fashion based job I have, I’ll love it wholeheartedly.

Isabella is a Communication Studies: Mass Media major with a double minor in WGST and WRDS. She studied abroad for a semester in London to please her adventurous side. Isabella hopes to get a job in the fashion industry. Lover of baking, dancing, photography, traveling, driving, reading, and browsing Pinterest and Youtube.
Hannah Luke is an English major with a minor in Diverse Literature and Cultural Studies at University of North Carolina at Charlotte. Hannah transferred from Clemson University where she was a writer for Her Campus Clemson, and the Secretary of RHA. She currently holds the position of Campus Correspondent for Her Campus at UNCC. Off Campus, Hannah works as a Copywriting Intern at a recruitment firm, and as a Barista for a local bakery. After graduation, Hannah hopes to be a travel or lifestyle journalist.