Gossip: Explaining and Avoiding it

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UNCC chapter.

Hatred. Anger. Sadness. Disappointment. Envy. Distress. Weakness. Revenge. Depression. Let down. Annoyed. Giving up.

Are you dealing with any of these feelings or emotions simple because someone is talking behind your back? It’s time to put a stop to that. Here are some helpful ways you can fix feeling less than you are.

Why do people talk behind your back?

1. You are an achiever. 

People will talk behind your back when you’ve achieved something that they can’t. It’s those who envy your progress that often sparks conversations behind your back. People who are extremely successful often have to break out from the shell of the norms of society and culture. This very fact may be the reason why people are gossiping behind your back whether it is in college or at the workplace.

2. They are jealous of the good things in your life.

3. They’ve got nothing better to do.

The fact that people are talking about you means that they’ve really not got anything better to do. I mean, think about it. Do you spend your free time talking about people? I hope not. Surely we all want our lives to be more productive and more meaningful than gossiping and bitching about others. This leads to one simple fact. They’re not happy with themselves or their life.

What should you do when people talk behind your back?

1. Do nothing.

One of the first things you have to acknowledge and understand is that there’s really nothing you can do. You might be able to silence or convince one person who talks about you when you’re not listening but, how many people in the world are you going to try to convince? No matter what you do and how good you are at anything in life, there will be people who think otherwise. They will talk behind your back in an attempt to pull you down. Ignore those people, they’re seriously not worth your time.

2. Understand that those people do not matter.

The people who talk behind your back obviously aren’t important in your life. If they were, they’d be on your side. Your true happiness lies in the progress and well-being of you as an individual and that of your family and friends. What everyone else has to say, think or feel does not and should not affect your happiness or state of mind. Realize this before it’s too late.

3. Smile confidently when you when you walk past them.

The biggest blow to anyone gossiping behind your back is the sight of you walking by with a confident smile that says “I know you talk behind my back but I don’t care”. If you really want to take this battle a notch up, put some zing into your step and walk as if you are the happiest person in the world when you walk past the people who talk behind your back.

4. Don’t feel victimized.

As you may have realized by now, a situation when people talk behind your back begins when you have achieved or done something that others are jealous of. All this really points out to only one fact – you have been the winner from the very beginning. Play your role of being the victor, celebrate and rejoice about the fact that people find you worth talking about.

5. Build your own support system.

Yes, we all have friends and family who will watch out for us. Start by being nice to the people around you who really matter. Make a conscious effort to be nice, every single day. This will rub off and you will lay the foundation of having your very own following. Be patient and treat every day as a challenge.

Be relaxed and most importantly, show that you are unperturbed by the rumors and gossip that’s been going around.