A Detailed Explanation of the Starbucks Drinks You’re Not Sure About

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UNCC chapter.

I assume that if you’re reading this, you’ve been to starbucks. If you’re anything like me before I started working there, the menu overwhelms you and you often order your drinks without having a clear understanding of what is actually in them. Now that I’m a Starbucks Barista, I’m here to:

1. Clear the air!

2. Let you know exactly what it is you’re drinking!

3. Not let you stay in the dark for one more second! 

4. Passionately share this passing of knowledge! 

5. Get this baby started!!!

Flat White

The first beverage I will be discussing is the Flat White. I never knew the difference between a flat white and a latte before I began working at starbucks, and now a Venti Hot Flat White is one of my go to favorite beverages on a chilly day. The Flat White is comprised of: 

1. Ristretto Shots* 

2. Steamed Whole Milk

*Ristretto shots are different than normal espresso shots, in that they are more concentrated and have a sweeter, smoother taste. Our Flat White also gets an added shot, so if you ordered a Hot Venti Flat White, you would get 3 shots instead of our standard 2 shots for a hot venti drink. 

The recipe for a Flat White also calls for whole milk rather than our standard 2% milk. In my own words,  the Flat White is a grown up latte.

Pink Drink

One of the most popular non-coffee beverages Starbucks sells is the Pink Drink.  The Pink Drink is comprised of: 

1.Strawberry-Acai Base

2. Coconut Milk

3. Dried Strawberry Pieces

4. Ice

The Strawberry Acai Base is a strawberry flavored clear, sugary juice. It is mixed with coconut milk, strawberry pieces, and ice in a shaker and then poured into your cup. You can also get a Dragon Drink, with the Mango Dragon Fruit Base, or a Violet Drink, with the Very Berry Hibiscus Base. Something most people don’t know is that these drinks, along with the Mango Dragon Fruit and Very Berry Hibiscus Refreshers, have caffeine! Don’t give these drinks to your babies like I watched a lady do in the drive thru line!

Matcha Green Tea Latte

Anything Matcha related tastes like grass to me, and I don’t understand all of you die-hard Matcha lovers. But, I’ll still talk about it for you all. I’m working on putting aside my differences with Matcha. 

All matcha related drinks at Starbucks are not made with actual matcha tea bags, but a green powder. A Matcha Green Tea Latte is comprised of:

1.Matcha Powder

2. Steamed Milk

We used to sweeten matcha drinks with our Classic sweetener, but now the matcha has sweetener in the powder already! Do not let the word matcha fool you, Starbucks matcha beverages contain are about as healthy as any other sugary coffee drink (but if you like them go off).

Cloud Macchiatos

We have a Caramel Cloud Macchiato and a Cocoa Cloud Macchiato, both rapidly rising in popularity. You can get them hot or iced, but most people get them iced.

The Caramel Cloud is comprised of: 

1. 2 pumps of vanilla 

2. 2% milk

3. Cloud Powder (which contains egg whites. Vegans, do not buy this.)

4. Espresso

5. Caramel Drizzle 

The Cocoa Cloud is Comprised of: 

1. 2 pumps of toffee nut syrup

2. 2% milk 

3. Cloud Powder (Again Vegans, watch out) 

4. Espresso

5. Caramel Drizzle

6. Mocha Drizzle

We combine the syrup, milk, and cloud powder in a small blender and blend it all until it’s at a fluffy consistency. We then pour the fluffy milk blend into your cup, then add ice, then add shots of espresso, and then top it off with the drizzle. If it’s hot, we steam what would go in the blender and then follow the same steps! 

The Pumpkin Cream Cold Brew

The Pumkin Spice Cold Brew is comprised of:

1. 2 pumps of pumpkin sauce 

2. Sweet Cream

3. Vanilla Syrup

4. Cold Brew  

This is the PERFECT drink for RIGHT NOW, aka the time of year in which we’ve moved past summer and into a fall vibe, but it’s still somehow 95 degrees outside. We mix pumps of vanilla and cold brew, then we add ice, and then we add a foamy creamy pumpkin sweet cream on top!

Emily Griffin (she/her) is a Senior at University of North Carolina at Charlotte. She is a Special Education Major and a Writing, Rhetoric, and Digital Studies Minor. Her writing mainly focuses on hot topic issues, female empowerment in all forms, and social media + all that comes with it. Her hobbies include grabbing a coffee and being a Virgo.
Hannah Luke is an English major with a minor in Diverse Literature and Cultural Studies at University of North Carolina at Charlotte. Hannah transferred from Clemson University where she was a writer for Her Campus Clemson, and the Secretary of RHA. She currently holds the position of Campus Correspondent for Her Campus at UNCC. Off Campus, Hannah works as a Copywriting Intern at a recruitment firm, and as a Barista for a local bakery. After graduation, Hannah hopes to be a travel or lifestyle journalist.