This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UNCC chapter.

In 4 years, the way you look at yourself will be completely different.

Your style, your hair, even your makeup bag is going to change dozens of times (just make sure your major doesn’t change every time you do).

Speaking as a college senior, I can attest to the many different challenges life will throw at you. Sometimes those challenges are going to make you feel like reinventing yourself is a great idea. That’s not a bad thing. Humans are wired to change constantly throughout their lives even when they don’t want to. Did you know that in 27 days, your skin will have regenerated into new skin? Change is going to happen, like it or not, but you shouldn’t see it as a bad thing! In freshman year of college, I had no idea what I wanted to do with my life. I was an undecided major, had little interest in anything to joining clubs, and wasn’t really sure how to make new friends because I was so stuck on my friends from high school. It was one of the hardest periods in my life because I continuously felt alone and unsure of where I was going. If it wasn’t for change, I wouldn’t have gotten a job or joined TWLOHA (a campus club) my sophomore year. I made new friends, decided on a major, and almost had a love interest! Ironically, one of these had to change too. 

I decided I wanted to be a graphic designer. The art major on my campus requires all students to send in a portfolio to determine if they’re “art major material”. I sadly was not. So to save my time and graduate early, i decided i would become a communications major. Of course I’m not going to advocate settling for less than what you want. ALWAYS go after what you want to do in life. My dream of being a graphic designer is still alive and well and will thrive after taking online courses from a software program! But my decision to be a communications major wasn’t because I couldn’t decide on anything else. As a child, I always loved speaking. My mother thinks I should be a lawyer, my dad says I’m a great persuader, and my sister believes I should be in entertainment because I’m not afraid of audiences or public speaking. I chose the communications major because it’s something I can excel in. I’ve been a communications major for a year now and it’s one of the best changes that could’ve happened to me. 

My major wasn’t the only thing that changed though. I cut off most of my hair because I always admired girls with short hair. My wardrobe has changed many times and, to be honest, is still changing. I’m still experimenting with makeup and my application process has changed over and over again. I’ve had three cars my entire college career (no, the cars were not choices! Cars breakdown more than you think!!). But over the years, these changes have made me into the person I am today. Someone my freshman year self would be proud of. Every change from heartache to lost friends, new majors and different cars, a change in hairstyle or music taste can potentially help you in the long run.

Think back to when you were in middle school and what your music taste was or the clothes you had and your hairstyle. 

What are you like now? 

How has it changed over the years?

Do you like the way you’ve changed since then?

If the answer is yes, then keep that in mind for the next few years of your life in college. Even when things look bad and you’re forced to change some things, understand that it’s all going to be worth it sooner or later!

If you said no, you don’t like who you are today compared to middle school, guess what? Change it. You can be whoever you decide to be. Create it. Make Pinterest boards of what you want to look like, go window shopping online for clothes you would like and would want to buy later, and try new hairstyles or even colors! You are a human canvas that is allowed to change however and whenever you want. Don’t be afraid of it, embrace it. 

Because like it or not, you’ve got a lot of changes headed your way.

Just a junior-senior still figuring out life!
Hannah Luke is an English major with a minor in Diverse Literature and Cultural Studies at University of North Carolina at Charlotte. Hannah transferred from Clemson University where she was a writer for Her Campus Clemson, and the Secretary of RHA. She currently holds the position of Campus Correspondent for Her Campus at UNCC. Off Campus, Hannah works as a Copywriting Intern at a recruitment firm, and as a Barista for a local bakery. After graduation, Hannah hopes to be a travel or lifestyle journalist.