jakob owens SaO8RBYC0bs unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
jakob owens SaO8RBYC0bs unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UNCC chapter.

One of the biggest things early teenagers can’t wait for is “being an adult”. They’re tired of being told what to do, tired of school, and ready to live in their own place. Every time someone tells them to slow down, “you don’t want to grow up too fast”, it’s completely disregarded- and a little understandingly so. But let me say it again for everyone who isn’t an adult/on their own yet: slow down. I’ve just recently began to be on my own and it is a difficult task.

For the past 20 years of my life, I have been a spoiled brat- sometimes not by choice. I got everything I wanted, even when I didn’t ask for it, and no one really questioned it. Any debt or money that I owed was always taken care of and it never really trained me for adult living. My sophomore year, at 19, I wanted to learn how to do things on my own. My parents didn’t like the idea so much and just wanted me to live a college life without outside worries. I had to take control by force (granted they still helped me….). Now I’m 21 and I’m paying my own bills now. I have a job to prioritize (not over school though) and payments that must be made on time or else my credit will suffer and getting my own place might take longer than I want.

So for the ones who are in college and are still benefiting from the luxury of being cared for by their parents, I advise you to take full advantage. If you get a job and have no bills to pay other than student loans, save it. You could save up for a trip you’ve always wanted to or that new iPhone that costs more than a month’s worth of rent! Another alternative to saving is actually paying off your student loans. It seems like no one really talks about it, but you can pay them early on, not just after you graduate. 

If there are no bills and no job, take your free time from classes to discover! Discover the world around you, new music, new people, even discover yourself. Take the time to read a book you’ve been meaning to finish or maybe even write one. Go to your school games because you don’t have a job that gets in the way of it. Hang out with your friends and do awesome things because you aren’t limited. 

But…if you are on your own, you should know that taking time for yourself is okay- even necessary. Juggling with school and work as well as a social life can be exhausting and, more than likely, one of these three things is going to get less attention. Trust me, I’m in that boat right now and sometimes I feel bad about it. I do my best to tend to all three but it’s really hard (especially in this economy). But for the most part, it’s not the end of the world. You can take a break every once in a while. Self care is something you can’t live without or you’ll be so stressed that one day you’ll toss your business papers in the air and say “fudge it”. Don’t go that route! Just take some time for yourself. A day, a few hours, or just a couple of minutes. Understand you deserve a break from the adult world. 

If you’re working through college, I advise you to invest in your savings- this is the number one thing for us young adults. Go look up different ways to save money on google or Pinterest. Think about how much money you could save skipping those extra coffees!

There are so many tips to being on your own because it is hard. Sometimes it gets to a point where people mentally become depressed so it’s not something to take lightly when you’re younger or when you’re being taken care of. 

Being an adult and on your own is one of the hardest and most tiring things. Take it from someone who just stepped over to the adult world.

Just a junior-senior still figuring out life!
Hannah Luke is an English major with a minor in Diverse Literature and Cultural Studies at University of North Carolina at Charlotte. Hannah transferred from Clemson University where she was a writer for Her Campus Clemson, and the Secretary of RHA. She currently holds the position of Campus Correspondent for Her Campus at UNCC. Off Campus, Hannah works as a Copywriting Intern at a recruitment firm, and as a Barista for a local bakery. After graduation, Hannah hopes to be a travel or lifestyle journalist.