Cuffing Season: A New Kind of Dating

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Chapel Hill chapter.
The recent dip in temperatures marks the beginning of what is known as “cuffing season.” It’s the time of year when singles seek a significant other to cuddle with on cool autumn and winter nights.  It’s different from summer love and can’t be compared to spring flings. Leaves are falling, temperatures are dropping and couples are forming. Cuffing Season is  a season all its own, complete with its own calendar, rules and etiquette. Navigating the dos and don’ts of cuffing season takes serious know-how, but no fear, Her Campus UNC is here to help.  Learn about cuffing season’s complexities by checking out the tips below!

Don’t expect it to last forever. Cuffing season is just that—seasonal. Don’t be disappointed if a relationship formed during the cooler months doesn’t even last until the new year. Nothing is guaranteed during these seasonal relationships. Vibe Vixen said, “Cuffing season has a sense of brevity to it.” Relationships formed during this time of year have the potential to grow into ones that transcend seasonal limits, but don’t be disappointed if you get cut loose by your “cuffee.”

Be prepared to invest lots of time. Being “cuffed” isn’t a casual hookup. It’s an unspoken commitment to the other person. Even if you despise sporting events, be ready to cuddle while he watches his favorite football game. And even if he hates romantic comedies, he should be willing to grab you a box of tissues during the break-up scene of your favorite movie. Spend lots of time with each other and compromise on activities.

Get out once and a while. Staying in, watching television and eating take-out gets boring.  Keep it interesting by getting out of your house, apartment or dorm. Go see a movie (movie tickets are only $4 at Varsity Theater). Sample sumptuous desserts at a local bakery such as Sugarland Bakery on Franklin Street. Sugarland has romantic treats like tiramisu, crème brulee and cannolis. You can also warm up at a local coffee shop with hot drinks that embrace the flavors of the season, like Starbuck’s Pumpkin Spice Latte.

Still Single? Get your party on. Cuffing season can make a single girl feel self-conscious, but she can make the most of it, too. If you’re alone, spend time with friends and family. Don’t get hung up on looking for someone. Stay flexible and always enjoy yourself. UNC-Chapel Hill junior Sherika Campbell said, “Cuffing season isn’t the be-all-end-all. If you’re not cuffed, put on your fall party dress and shoes and have fun!” She added, “Fall is for flirting!”

How are you spending the cuffing season? Be sure to tell us in the comments below.

Sources:
Sherika Campbell, UNC-Chapel Hill
Vibe Vixen, The Do’s and Don’ts to Cuffing Season
Couple in coffee shop (photo): Millicentwong, http://www.millicentwong.com/uploaded_images/for-web-sm16-715839.jpg

Sophomore, PR major at UNC