10 Fun and Festive Fall-Related Activities

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Chapel Hill chapter.

It’s that wonderful time of year that everyone can’t help but love… its fall! Time for colorful leaves, cooler weather, football season, cute boots and scarves, and a hot pumpkin spice latte. Even though school can get stressful with midterms and the holiday season, find some time to enjoy these festive activities with your friends or boyfriend so you can jump right into the fall spirit.

1. Get lost in a corn maze: Nothing will get you more in the mood for fall than wandering through a corn maze on a cool afternoon. Check out Ganyard Hill Farm for a really fun corn maze where you can pick corn then feed it to animals! There are a ton of other fun activities at Ganyard Hill Farm too.

2.  Carve a pumpkin: Bring out your creativity and your Halloween spirit by picking up a pumpkin at Harris Teeter or even better, from a pumpkin patch. Carve a scary face, the UNC logo or paint it for a festive decoration in your house. Get a few fun ideas here.

3.  Go for a hike: The weather outside is perfect right now for a beautiful hike. Go to Eno River to get the full nature experience complete with colorful leaves and running water. Learn more about hiking options at Eno River State Park.

4.  Make pumpkin flavored goodies: Pumpkin pie, pumpkin scones, pumpkin cookies… the opportunities are endless! You’ll fill your house or apartment with a delicious fall scent while also providing your roomies with some tasty treats that remind everyone of the season. The Food Network has some awesome ideas.

5.  Drink apple cider: Similar to the pumpkin spice latte, apple cider is a staple of the fall season. Cider can serve multiple purposes too like using it for cooking or making fun fall-themed cocktails! Check out this easy spiked apple cider cocktail from The Food Network.

6.  Go for a hayride: Like the corn maze, a hayride is a classic fall activity. Vollmer Farm, Ganyard Hill Farm, and McKee CornField Maze all have great hayride experiences. Get more information here.

7.   Visit the state fair: The North Carolina State Fair runs October 17-27 in Raleigh. Get your fix of fun rides, fried food, and fireworks at this year’s fair. Visit their site to learn about ticket prices!

8.  Apple picking: There are a lot of great places in North Carolina to go apple picking! You could even make your own apple cider or just pick some yummy crisp apples. Here are a few places you could go on an apple picking adventure.

9.  Tour the Red Oak Brewery: Beer and fall simply go hand in hand. You can tour a brewery close to Chapel Hill for just $10 on Fridays (as long as you’re 21)! Learn more here.

10. Watch scary Halloween movies: Halloweentown, Hocus Pocus, Nightmare on Elm Street, and so many more! Bring out your inner kid or just have fun snuggling inside while watching our favorite classics. Check out the full schedule for ABC’s 13 nights of Halloween here.

Megan McCluskey is a recent graduate from the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill with a B.A. with Distinction in Journalism and Mass Communication, and a second major in French. She has experience as a Campus Correspondent and Contributing Writer for Her Campus, a Public Relations Consultant for The V Foundation, an Editorial Assistant for TV Guide Magazine and Carolina Woman magazine, a Researcher for MTV, and a Reporter and Webmaster for the Daily Tar Heel. She is an obsessive New England Patriots and Carolina basketball fan, and loves spending time with her friends and family (including her dogs), going to the beach, traveling, reading, online shopping and eating bad Mexican food.