This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UMKC chapter.

At the beginning of the pandemic in the U.S., Netflix decided to bless us with all the seasons of “Avatar: The Last Airbender.” Memes, references, cosplays and sketches of the characters exploded on the internet. I remember seeing so many TikToks about the characters and cosplays or inspired outfits. As someone who is a big fan of both “Avatar: The Last Airbender” and astrology, I decided to try my hand at combining them. I present to you: The Zodiac Signs of “Avatar: The Last Airbender” Characters.

Azula is definitely an Aries.

Azula being the natural-born leader she is, it can’t be surprising I’d take her for an Aries. Her explosive attitudes and the pressure she puts on herself to be perfect are typical traits for an Aries. She is both fiery and unyielding, not afraid to burn people around her. She demands the most from her friends and expects them to always be there for her. 

Toph is a Taurus.

Toph is probably one of the most stubborn people on the show. She’s also grounded in everything she does and is able to show humility. She likes to act tough and almost apathetic, but on the inside, she’s a softie and cares deeply— probably more than she wants to. These are all very characteristic of a Taurus.

Aang is a Gemini.

Geminis are well-known for being airheads and relatively happy all the time. I feel like this is Aang, especially at the beginning of the series before the seriousness of being the avatar hit him. Geminis are also characteristized as being two-faced, and I feel like this shows up in Aang, just not in the classic way. Him calming himself down and then getting into this destructive avatar state is an example of it.

Princess Yue is probably a Cancer.

Although she is only featured in two episodes (technically three), I feel like she exemplifies a Cancer pretty well. Princess Yue is deeply intuitive and sentimental, catching onto Sokka’s feelings (also reciprocating them). Her last words to Sokka being, “I’ll always be with you” speaks to her sentimental nature and how she cares so deeply.

Sokka has to be a Leo.

Sokka is an extrovert who loves to interact with people and tell jokes. He’s a tad arrogant, and this is most obvious through his actions in the beginning. But he becomes humbled and much more well-rounded as a person through the series. Sokka’s energy and ability to make light of any situation speaks to his care-free attitude that many Leos boast about.

Jet is a Virgo.

Jet was a character who I had mixed feelings about in the show, just like Katara. I feel like Jet was most likely a Virgo because of how loyal he was to his cause. His dedication to his cause also speaks to his “all work no play” attitude that most Virgos have. He was also very hardworking and analytical, as we see well when he’s planning to blow up the village.

Uncle Iroh is a Libra.

One of the things that Uncle Iroh comes to care the most about in the show is balance. He mentions the harmony of nature and keeping things in check a lot in the show. He comes off as a self-absorbed or weak old man, but there’s so much more to him than that. These characterizations occur in Libras a lot. The symbol of the Libra is balanced scales, so it can’t be a surprise that I would peg him as one. 

Ty Lee must be a Scorpio.

Ty Lee is charismatic and hard to resist, like most Scorpios, as shown in “The Beach” episode. She’s pretty emotional but hides it well behind her fun attitude. She cares a lot about making distinctions between her sisters and herself initially, hence why she joins the circus, but eventually she finds peace in uniformity. 

Zuko is a Sagittarius.

Sagittariuses are not known to be the best at speaking diplomatically. Although we don’t see this in the series, Zuko gets his scar because of this characteristic. Zuko is also strong-willed, as shown in his dedication to capturing the avatar and restoring his honor at the beginning of the series. 

Suki is a Capricorn.

One of the coolest fighters on the show is Suki, someone who truly gives off girl boss energy. She’s responsible, disciplined and has self-control, as is shown when she’s a Kyoshi warrior. She also hates asking for help but enjoys helping others, which is a big Capricorn thing.

Mai is definitely an Aquarius.

Aquariuses are known to come off as disinterested and maybe even cold. These are two of Mai’s well-defined traits, as we see in the show. Aquariuses are also well-known to make being different or hating things a personality trait, and that is something that we see of Mai in the series all the time. 

Katara is a Pisces.

I adore Katara, don’t get me wrong. But she can be super emotional at times, which is a huge Pisces trait. I really like the way the Ember Island players characterized her as someone who is motherly and often goes on hopeful rants. She is intuitive, gentle and wise, as we see with the main cast of ATLA, but she can be overly trusting in any of the characters that end up being bad guys in hiding.

I hope you enjoyed reading this article as much as I enjoyed writing it. I did my best to come up with these based on my knowledge of the characters and my understanding of astrology, but I could always be wrong. I’m curious to hear if you disagree with any of the characterizations I made and why, so let me know on any of my social media accounts that are linked on my profile! 

Mahreen is currently a senior studying Political Science, International Relations and Pre Law. In her free time she enjoys reading books about politics and watching foreign films. She is passionate about helping people, social justice and self care.
Krit graduated with English and Chemistry degrees from UMKC. As the President and founder of UMKC’s chapter, she hopes HC UMKC will continue to create content that inspires students. Some of her favorite things include coffee and writing.