kon karampelas 7Hv7183ZNFM unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
kon karampelas 7Hv7183ZNFM unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Unsplash
Wellness > Sex + Relationships

You Shouldn’t Be Embarrassed for Using Dating Apps

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UMKC chapter.

“Wait, you use Tinder?”

“Yeah, but I mean…I only use it because my friends dared me to. I won’t ever meet these people for a real date.”

If asked if we use Tinder, many of us would deny being a user, make excuses, or give vague answers. I know I did in the past. My response would be, “Oh, I only get on Tinder when I’m bored. It’s almost like a game.” In actuality, that’s usually never why anyone gets on it. While dating apps have been gaining a tremendous amount of popularity, many people still feel sheepish when admitting that they are on Tinder or any other dating app. The thought of using Tinder might sound wrong to some, and to others, they might feel the need to lie. We don’t want our friends or family to think that we are unable to meet people in real life. There is a misperception of people who use online dating apps. We assume that they must have something wrong with them, and that’s why they’re resorting to this “alternate” way of dating. 

However, online dating isn’t as taboo as one might think. According to Techcrunch.com, “Tinder officially claims tens of millions of users worldwide, with estimates putting that figure at more than 50 million.” Considering the number of people on the app, this should not be something people feel ashamed of using. It’s time people move on from these archaic ways of viewing dating. There is nothing wrong with using Tinder or other dating apps. We’re in college and this is 2020. 

Here are some reasons why you should use Tinder with no shame:

Most people around you are on Tinder

Most people feel ashamed that they have the app. The people around you are probably Tinder users (or other dating app users) who are also ashamed to admit it. As I mentioned before, more than 50 million people use online dating apps. So, if you worry that you’re weird and one of the only people on the app, you’re very wrong. The guy next to you in class, your friends and maybe even your professor could be using Tinder. It’s normal.

It’s HARD to meet people in real life now

Phones and technology have really made face-to-face interactions, specifically dating, close to impossible. Even if you don’t like to admit it, you’re probably slightly addicted to your phone. I don’t blame you for thinking it’s impossible to meet people in real life because honestly, in today’s age of social media, it is.

It’s okay to want to fall in love or be in a relationship

In college, most people feel like they are expected to go out, date around and not really commit to anyone. Nobody wants to be lonely, though. It’s completely okay to want to be in a relationship, so actively looking on Tinder for one shouldn’t make you feel bad.

Using dating apps shows that you are human and that you and millions of others want human connection. Whether the app is Tinder, Bumble, or Hinge, everyone is on there for the same reason. And if you’re embarrassed to say where you met your date, you can always say you met at a coffee shop. Swipe to your heart’s content.

Abbey is a sophomore at University of Missouri - Kansas city studying communications emphasis in Journalism and minoring in English. In her free time, she can be found coffee shop hoping around Kansas city, watching vine compilations on YouTube, or spending all her money at Sephora and beating her face to the gods.