Style > Beauty

Womxn-owned Beauty Brands to Support this Women’s History Month

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UMKC chapter.

In Her Campus, we celebrate womxnhood every day, but that doesn’t make Women’s History Month any less special. This is the perfect reminder to uplift womxn by investing in brands that benefit them. Here are four beauty brands owned by womxn of color to look into.

Beauty Bakerie

This cruelty-free, all-inclusive cosmetics brand was founded by Cashmere Nicole, a breast cancer survivor, in 2011. Nicole’s battle with cancer is reflected in the quality and healthiness of her makeup ingredients. Beauty Bakerie began as a small indie brand but took over the industry in no time. Now, her brand implements initiatives called “Sugar Homes” that support orphans worldwide and has been active in speaking out against injustices like The Muslim Ban, human trafficking and police brutality. This sweet, bakery-themed cosmetics brand is a great one to support for those who put their money where their morals are.

Then I Met You

This skincare brand was founded by Charlotte Cho, the creator of the popular K-beauty site, Soko Glam. Then I Met You was inspired by “jeong,” a Korean term that describes a meaningful connection that creates empathy. The K-beauty brand is perhaps best known for their Living Cleansing Balm, which has won many awards for its gentle cleansing ability and enriching ingredients, including vitamin E and sea buckthorn oil. Skincare is an excellent form of self-care, and purchasing from this brand is a great way to support womxn in the process!

Mented Cosmetics

Amanda E. Johnson and KJ Miller founded this vegan and cruelty-free brand in 2017 to make makeup more inclusive for skin of all colors. The brand sparked from a conversation in a single bedroom Harlem apartment and has bloomed into a global project. Investing in Mented means supporting a mission that backs diversity in both employees and customers.

Fenty Beauty

Rihanna’s hit makeup brand doesn’t need any introduction. This globally recognized brand prides itself on its inclusivity and products that range from traditional foundations and blushes to fun body lavas and gloss creams. Rihanna has expanded beyond the world of cosmetics to skincare, and her Hydra Vizor Invisible Moisturizer Broad Spectrum SPF 30 Sunscreen is a wonderful, non-casting option for those with darker skin tones.

This Women’s History Month, invest in products that back your values. You don’t always have to make big, grand gestures; sometimes, doing something as seemingly miniscule as changing the brand of eyeliner you wear or the cleanser you use can do the trick. The next time you’re in the market for a new product, consider who and which ideas you’re investing in.

Hey! I'm a fourth year in UMKC's BA/MD program I love listening to music, watching Netflix/YouTube, singing, and learning new languages :)