Style > Fashion

Winter Styling Tips to Keep you Cozy and Cute

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UMKC chapter.

When the cold seasons kick in, most of us worry about keeping warm—rightfully so— but when you have the option, why not elevate your look a little? Layering up doesn’t need to keep you from looking fashionable, so here are three tips to add some pizzazz to your winter closet.

Start with turtlenecks/heat tech and build up

Having more “skintight” pieces to insulate your outfit is a must. You can opt for fabrics that are heat tech, or thermally regulating, so it keeps you warm. Beyond that, turtlenecks and basic tees are  great base pieces that you can wear under band tees or dresses to extend their usage into winter. You can also layer up with funky statement cardigans or sweaters and coats that you can adjust as you enter buildings and go outside.

Invest in a neutral scarf and pair of gloves

Keeping your neck and hands warm is necessary in the winter, and having them color-coordinated is the cherry on top. These are small details that can add a lot of cohesion to an otherwise boring outfit, and it’s even better if it matches other elements of your outfit like your socks, shoes or earmuffs/hat. Sometimes I just forgo wearing gloves because it can be difficult to maintain tactility or use my phone, but having Touchscreen Gloves (here’s another option) has made it much less frustrating to wear them!

Use (thermal) leggings

Like the first tip, leggings help provide insulation without taking up too much space, which makes them perfect for layering. Thermal leggings can be especially warm for those who live in colder climates or would prefer the extra heat. Leggings also extend the shelf life of your summer and fall closet (much like turtlenecks and basic tees) because you can wear them beneath jeans, skirts, dresses, overalls and many other outfits. This trick lets you preserve the youthful, sunny colors of your summer closet until winter to defend against the darker days.

The winter can get cold and dark, but your outfits will keep you warm and bright if you just put enough thought into them. Coziness and cuteness can both coexist in the same season with just a little bit of patience and creativity. I hope these tips are good reminders to guide your seasonal shopping and that you enjoy watching “Elf” for the 101st time!

Hey! I'm a fourth year in UMKC's BA/MD program I love listening to music, watching Netflix/YouTube, singing, and learning new languages :)