This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UMKC chapter.

When I first came to Missouri, the term “Costco” was a bit foreign to me. It wasn’t until a year or two ago that my city got one, so I’m still learning about it. I had always been familiar with Sam’s Club because that is what I grew up going to, but unfortunately, it’s a bit of a drive from where I live in Kansas City. Now that I’m more accustomed to Costco culture, I can see a little more why it’s so popular. 

The first couple of times I went to Costco, I just strolled past the clothing sections because I had only come for food. During one visit, I decided to check out what they had and I have to say I was not disappointed. They had a lot of different good deals on jackets, pants and tops. I was even a bit shook that they had brand names like Adidas or Vince Camuto for cheap prices too. This past winter season, I thought I was going to have to spend a bag on a new puffer to survive the Kansas City winters, but I ended up saving so much on one at Costco. Overall, I would recommend checking out the clothing section someday, but be warned that you may end up leaving with more than you came for. 

Also, another thing I love about Costco is the amount of food they offer. I couldn’t decide if this was a pro or a con honestly. For my family, this would be a pro because there are eight of us, meaning that we value buying in bulk and the large portions. On the other hand, this would not be super ideal for a person who lives alone. Something like milk comes in a much larger size at Costco, which is great if you drink a lot of milk each day or live with multiple people. However, if you know you won’t be able to finish it, then you’re better off buying in a smaller quantity and someplace other than Costco. While we love a good deal, you always want to avoid waste, so just keep that in mind. 

Speaking of food, who doesn’t love a good Costco cake? I mean they’re big, cheap and they taste great. I’ve heard they use a cheesecake mousse filling for the inside and I love cheesecake, so this could be why I have fallen in love with this dessert. Aside from the cake, I recommend visiting the food court sometime as well. They sell huge pizzas and chicken bakes (my favorite) for when you get hungry post-shopping. Prior to COVID-19 they also gave out samples of different foods. Hopefully, they’re able to start this again soon and I’ll try not to be tempted to buy everything I try this time.

Even if you don’t have a Costco card, tag along with a friend next time just for the experience. Walk up and down the aisles looking just to look, but make sure to hit the most important areas. If you leave with a new fit or a birthday cake despite it being no one’s birthday, I’d say you had a productive shopping trip. 

I am a third year student at the University of Missouri-Kansas City medical program. When I am not starting a new TV show, I enjoy looking at new recipes, taking pictures, and laughing with other people.
Krit graduated with English and Chemistry degrees from UMKC. As the President and founder of UMKC’s chapter, she hopes HC UMKC will continue to create content that inspires students. Some of her favorite things include coffee and writing.