Why You Should Support Small Black-Owned Businesses

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UMKC chapter.

With the holiday season quickly approaching, spenders are on the lookout for as many sales and doorbuster deals they can find. Big and small shops truly anticipate the number of large sales that come around this time of year, which is why it’s important to note that everyone should try to purchase at least one gift under the tree made specially by a black business owner!

According to the Department of Commerce’s Minority Business Development Agency, there are eight million minority-owned businesses, and over two million are black-owned. It’s high time for people to wake up and take notice of how much support is needed for these businesses to thrive. Not only does it benefit the company itself, but the communities as well. It’s important for black entrepreneurs to stay connected with their consumers as it promotes an economic stability within the community.

• Recognize the grind from a black-owned business and how often they might struggle.

Due to financial hurdles tied in with the gaping history of black disenfranchisement, black entrepreneurs often struggle with staying on top of their game and keeping their businesses afloat. Not every black product you see will end up at every store, from Sephora to your local Walgreens, and products made by small black companies are very rarely seen in stores. Because of this financial struggle, it may be hard for stores to keep things in stock constantly. Oftentimes, black-owned businesses are also faced with the disadvantage of how quickly cultural appropriation spreads and the gentrification that occurs when they’re trying their best to make products suited for people just like them.  

• Just because the product is black-owned, doesn’t mean it’s low quality.

Not only are there great black-owned business out there, but their products are also actually top-notch as well. This eliminates the tragic myth that products produced by black entrepreneurs are of low-quality. In fact, because it is made for black people by black people, the product may actually be better for them. This makes more sense when it comes to facial products and most definitely hair products, but it also doesn’t exclude what other black creators produce for benefiting the community.

• Promoting the business and the products help communities more and lands jobs.

Every day it’s harder for black people to land jobs for mostly obvious and unacceptable reasons, but because of how quickly these black-owned businesses are growing it gives opportunities for well deserving employers to work with one another and engage in bettering the community around them. Every ounce of promotion is good for a small black-owned business, words are powerful and if you use them wisely you notice a difference. Rather than focusing your energy on being the new a black face of a non-black franchise, embrace the black one alone and grow your audience to all.

On that note…

Here is a list of my favorite black-owned businesses you obviously need to check out!

Samira is currently a Business Administration Marketing major and Communications minor at the University of Missouri in Kansas City. With a strong passion for writing and journalism, she hopes to educate you every time you reach the end of one her many motivational articles!
Krit graduated with English and Chemistry degrees from UMKC. As the President and founder of UMKC’s chapter, she hopes HC UMKC will continue to create content that inspires students. Some of her favorite things include coffee and writing.