Girl In Iu Hoosiers Shirt With Dog
Girl In Iu Hoosiers Shirt With Dog
Anna Schultz / Her Campus
Wellness

Why You Should Adopt a Fur-Ever Friend in College

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UMKC chapter.

Owning a pet has several benefits, especially for stressed-out colleges students. According to the National Center for Health Research, interacting with your pet lowers levels of stress and can ease anxiety. This explains why you feel better when you are snuggled up with your furry friend. There is also research showing the link between owning a pet and health benefits such as lower blood pressure and a lower heart rate. Pets are really out here saving lives.

Even if your dorm, apartment or house doesn’t allow you to have a cat or a dog, you can enjoy the company of a fish, rabbit, hamster or any other small but cute critter. Owning a pet isn’t always limited to only cats and dogs. Having the responsibility of taking care of a pet, even one as easy as a fish, can be very rewarding and make you feel needed.

Of course, it is important to adopt your pets from a shelter instead of supporting breeders and possible puppy mills. On average, 3.2 million cats and dogs are adopted every year from shelters. This may seem like a large number, but it is relatively small compared to the 6.5 million cats and dogs that are put into shelters every year. Of those cats and dogs, 1.5 million are euthanized, so it is very important to support local shelters in finding those pets a forever home (ASPCA).

There are several pet adoption places around the Kansas City area:

If you are unable to have pets, another great way to help out animals in shelters is to volunteer. Many shelters that you find are always looking for a little help from animal lovers.

As a pet owner, I can honestly say that owning a pet has been one of the best decisions I have made while in college. I am greeted by a loving animal who doesn’t see my flaws and doesn’t remind me of how much stress I have because of college. I highly recommend adopting a pet so you, too, can build a great relationship with a fur-ever friend.

Alison is a biology major and a writer for Her Campus UMKC. She spends her weekends binge watching The Office, munching on Chipotle and cuddling up with her cat. Her favorite quote is: "a day without laughter is a day wasted."
Krit graduated with English and Chemistry degrees from UMKC. As the President and founder of UMKC’s chapter, she hopes HC UMKC will continue to create content that inspires students. Some of her favorite things include coffee and writing.