This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UMKC chapter.

A few weeks ago, I was scrolling through Tiktok when I saw someone showing off this portable monitor that they had bought. It was interesting looking, in that it looked like a tablet that was way too big and not touch screen. But I watched the entire Tiktok completely fascinated. Being in my third year of college with lots of friends who are either very much into gaming or intensive studying, I have considered buying a second monitor to help myself out. But the issue is that I travel around a lot. I do homework in both my office on-campus and in my dorm room. I also go home for the weekend to see my parents and do tons of studying there. For these reasons, I chose not to pursue getting a monitor since they’re so stationary and permanent. I need something that can move around like me.

I ruminated on the thought of getting the portable monitor. It’s a little expensive (the cheapest one I found and ultimately bought was around $118) and I like to make sure I’m not just buying something because of the hype. But I thought about it a lot and how it could help me with multitasking on my beloved MacBook. I don’t own a desktop, so everything I do is on my MacBook and I literally use it for everything from work, to studying, to watching Netflix. I did argue with myself that I already owned an iPad and that there is a function called SideCar where you can use your iPad as a second monitor. However, I also use my iPad to take notes, especially during my Zoom classes, so I couldn’t use it as a second when it mattered most. So it made sense, in the end, to invest further into what I already use since I use it so much.

Working on a laptop
Photo by Startup Stock Photos from Pexels

I decided to buy the GTEK Portable Monitor off of Amazon. It was kind of awkward to use at first since I had never had to attach my iPad to my MacBook to use it as a second monitor (SideCar is done wirelessly). But after a few hours and playing around with the settings that come with having a second monitor, it began to feel really natural and help me multitask a lot faster than I thought it would. I’ve had my second monitor for a few weeks now and I’m very upset that I hadn’t heard of it before. It has seriously made me so much more productive and I really enjoy how it has a 15.6-inch screen. I honestly prefer to watch my lectures or even Netflix on it. It’s also really light to carry and easy to transport so I have no problem taking it to my office or home. Even if a portable monitor might seem excessive to you, I think it’d be good to consider getting a second monitor in general.

Mahreen is currently a senior studying Political Science, International Relations and Pre Law. In her free time she enjoys reading books about politics and watching foreign films. She is passionate about helping people, social justice and self care.