puppy happy fun girl
puppy happy fun girl
Charlotte Reader / Her Campus

Why Adopting Your Pet is Important

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UMKC chapter.

You may have heard the phrase, “adopt, don’t shop” before. This saying exists because of the large number of animals that are either born without a home or are abandoned by their owners. Oftentimes, these animals become strays because families don’t want to take care of them anymore, their pet had an unexpected litter, or because they’re moving and don’t want to take their pet with them. There are countless reasons why shelters are overflowing with loving animals. By adopting, not only are you giving an unwanted pet a home, but you’re also contributing to the cause of animal welfare.

One of the biggest reasons to adopt is because you’ll be helping to reduce the number of future homeless animals. At shelters, all the animals are spayed/neutered. In doing this, pet homelessness can be reduced. When people have pets that give birth, they generally sell the littermates or give them away to friends and family; however, those animals might later be abandoned or could give birth to others who might eventually become strays. This is why spaying/neutering your pet is important because, in the long run, the number of stray animals will not increase. Additionally, this can bode well for your pet’s’ health too as it causes them to be less at risk for certain diseases. If you’re curious about all the positive effects of spaying/neutering, The Humane Society offers great information on this subject.

yawning cat with tongue
Serena Koi

Oftentimes, people decide to shop instead of adopting because they want a cute puppy or kitten to raise. In reality, some shelters are almost constantly getting an influx of puppies and kittens in. If having a pet at that age is important to you, please check your local shelters first to see if animals of that age are available. The young animals always tend to get adopted the quickest, so if you don’t see any available at that time, make sure to look again.

Even if you do have your heart set on a kitten or puppy, please consider older animals as well. They can be amazing to adopt for a variety of reasons. For one, they typically come with training. The dogs may be potty trained, have obedience training, and/or have already lived in a home before and know how to behave well. Older cats require less attention and mothering as well. Adult and senior animals are always the ones who end up being longer residents at animals shelters, so remember that they just want to be loved too!

Puppy Hand Fun Ring Summer Hapy Original
Charlotte Reader / Her Campus
Despite all the great reasons to adopt, many still view shopping for a pet as a viable route. If this happens, it is important to ensure you are buying from a qualified breeder. Do your research on who you might be buying from, visit them and ask as many questions as possible. Additionally, getting your pet fixed and microchipped is equally important. Otherwise, adopting is the single best option for the welfare of animals. At shelters, your pets will typically already come spayed/neutered, up to date on their shots and microchipped. Adoption costs are also significantly cheaper since shelters are so eager to find homes for the animals. Rather than spending a thousand dollars from a breeder, you could adopt one for a hundred or less. Always remember that by adopting, you’re helping an animal in need and giving them a loving home.  

Photo by Laula & Co on Unsplash

If you’re ready for a furry companion, here are some local shelters in Kansas City that do amazing work:

Wayside Waifs: This is my favorite local shelter. At Wayside Waifs, you can visit the campus, animals and staff there, all without filling in an application beforehand. This allows them to get to know you in person and determine if you’re the best fit for the animal. Additionally, this nonprofit organization does great work for the community, such as their Humane Education programs.

Midwest Animal ResQ (MARQ): This shelter is located in Raytown, MO, where they partner with the city to take in stray animals found but not reclaimed. This means they always have many animals in need of loving homes.

KC Pet Project: As a nonprofit organization, KC Pet Project has many good programs in place that benefit animals. They are also partnered with various local Petco stores where adoptions can take place.

Pets are an important part of our lives. By choosing to adopt, you’ll gain a loyal best friend ready to love and protect you always. Before making such an important decision, make sure you’re ready for all the responsibilities that come with having a pet. It’s a major commitment that involves a lot of money, time, and care. Animals are expensive, and they need socialization, mental stimulation and humans willing to learn about all their needs. Dogs and cats can’t be left alone all day, and they aren’t just a cute fad to love when we feel like it. They require so much of our energy. When you are considering adopting, please research as much as possible about their costs and needs. Once you’re ready for all the responsibilities that come with a furry companion, you won’t regret it.

Krit graduated with English and Chemistry degrees from UMKC. As the President and founder of UMKC’s chapter, she hopes HC UMKC will continue to create content that inspires students. Some of her favorite things include coffee and writing.