Wellness > Sex + Relationships

For Whoever Needs to Hear This: Being Single Doesn’t Mean You’re Failing

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UMKC chapter.

Trust me, as someone who’s been single quite literally my entire life — not being in a relationship can be lonely, ostracizing and certainly opens up questions from the onlookers of my life. Throughout the duration of my time, I’ve seen numerous friends fall in and out of relationships, or go from “talking” to one person to another. There’s absolutely no shame to those who do find themselves in relationships (or of the sort).ruthfully, many times I’ve found myself envious of those people. I’ve been asked, in some ways just simply out of curiosity, and in other ways a bit skeptical and judgmental, as to why I am single. To be frank, it’s really no one’s business, but I’m writing an article about it so I’ll go ahead and explain. For the most part, I do not desire a relationship. I enjoy working on and improving myself, focusing on my own needs, focusing on my degree and having fun with my friends. For now, that’s enough for me. 

I’m sure many of you can relate to the feeling of inferiority and seemingly judgemental opinions of others about being single. Watching others get into relationships or find “the one” can evoke a strong fear of missing out, or maybe even get you questioning your own worth and what could possibly be wrong with you for not being in a relationship. I mean this wholeheartedly, you aren’t failing life for being single. Nothing is wrong with you, and yes, you are a lovable person. 

If a relationship is what you want, it will come to you. And if it’s not, then keep doing you and know that you’re doing what’s right for yourself. As we grow older, the impending doom of time can fool us into thinking we’re wasting time or we’re somehow left behind from our peers. Everyone’s timeline is completely different, with different experiences, lessons and successes. Above all, focusing on love in general is inherently bad or trivial. Love comes in so many forms and manifests in many ways, love yourself, your friends and family. You’re whole all on your own and definitely don’t need a relationship to be successful. 

Lily is currently in her fourth semester at UMKC's in their Masters in Counseling program. Whenever she can be with friends she is, when she's not she enjoys reading and doing yoga. Lily has a passion for human rights, mental health, pop-culture and writing.