This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UMKC chapter.

Let’s face it, there’s a formula to the way that romance is portrayed in books and movies. Nevertheless, I’m a sucker for a good love story and there are many tropes that are staples of the genre. If you’re a lover of romance, it’s likely that you have a favorite trope based on characters you’ve seen or read about or maybe from your own life experience! Based on my keen observation skills and vast research among my friends, here’s what I believe your favorite romance trope says about you:

Enemies to Lovers

Enemies to lovers, although a bit overused and cliche, is still one of my favorite romance tropes. If this is also your favorite trope, you probably enjoy a bit of banter and teasing is one of the main ways you like to be flirted with. This one also means that you probably want a little bit of spice in your relationship and you might even get a thrill out of being frustrated with someone. Ultimately, I think the major theme of this one is that you want people to love you, even if you show them the worst parts of yourself first. 

Friends to Lovers

I may be a bit biased since this describes my relationship, but even so, it’s also a classic. I think this one is the most realistic generally since the relationship develops between two people that truly know each other. If this is your favorite, you’re probably a hopeless romantic, and I don’t blame you! You find comfort in not having to start over with getting to know someone because you’ve already found someone who loves you for you and all your quirks. 

Fake Dating

This trope seems like the most far-fetched in my opinion, but it’s still entertaining to watch unfold. If this is your favorite one, you probably don’t let many people in too easily. People typically have to work pretty hard in order to get to know the real you. You’re most likely not actively looking for love, but you’re not opposed to it if something happens to work out. I’m also going to guess that you’re a people pleaser and care a lot about what others think of you. 

Love Triangle

Once again, this one’s a classic and another one of my favorites. You’re probably not too interested in your romantic relationships if things feel too easy. Maybe you like the chase more than the relationship itself, or you’re just extremely indecisive in most aspects of your life, including dating. But also, props to you for being able to get two guys to fall for you at the same time. You might be someone who gets tired of the same routine every day. 

Forbidden Love

Just a disclaimer: if none of your friends or family think you should be with a certain person, chances are that you’re making a mistake. However, with that being said, maybe this person helps bring out a side of you that you never knew existed. If this is your favorite one, you’re probably always looking for your next adrenaline rush or love getting out of your comfort zone! You love the thrill of taking a risk and possibly getting caught. Though it’s true that every relationship has its ups and downs, this one being your favorite must mean that you’re someone who loves puzzles and secrets. 

Soulmates

If this is your favorite, you’ve likely been a fan of the romance genre for quite some time. This trope is timeless, and aren’t we all really searching for our soulmate here? You dream of finding someone that you click perfectly with and that completes you. You want love to be easy and not something that feels like a constant uphill battle. Sometimes things might seem too good to be true, and you might be prone to self-sabotage; take some time to reflect and embrace positivity in your life!

Love at First Sight

As unrealistic as this one may seem, it’s the most predictable, and that’s okay! You find comfort in knowing that things are going to work out. You’re probably a tense person and enjoy a good romantic story because it’s comfortable and doesn’t really keep you guessing. You may also be a little impatient and want things done your way. It’s likely that you don’t like secrets and want to know everything and everyone. 

Second Chance 

We’re at the end of our list, and I wish that I could say that I’ve saved the best for last, but this one has to be my least favorite. Maybe you believe that love conquers all and, in fictional stories, love might be all that you need. If this is your favorite, you’re likely a very caring, sweet and forgiving person. You have faith that people are inherently good and have good intentions. That being said, I just don’t support the message that this romance trope teaches. If someone is constantly hurting you, there needs to be a point that you stand up and remove yourself from the situation. 

These are just my own observations and thoughts, so please take them with a grain of salt. There are so many great romance tropes that it’s hard to pick just one favorite. Ultimately, you can’t go wrong with any of them, after all, they are all mostly fictional. I hope that the next time you see a romance trope being played out, you can think about all the other love stories that came before it.

Maya is a 5th Year Medical Student at UMKC. Even though she is working towards a very STEM orientated major, Maya enjoys using writing as a creative outlet. When Maya isn't studying, she enjoys writing (duh), soccer, music, and shopping.