This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UMKC chapter.

Veganism is the practice of abstaining from the consumption or usage of animals or products made from animals. In a time where we are a threat to the environment; in a time where what we eat is becoming a major concern and certain diets are on the rise; in a time where there are 795 million people without the proper sustenance, it is important to consider all the options to combat these issues. Veganism is becoming an increasingly popular solution, with many famous celebrities going vegan and a plethora of vegan restaurants opening up that are easily accessible. However, I do agree that it is a tough decision to make, especially for people who are used to eating meat. So here are three reasons to go vegan! 

Veganism prevents greenhouse gas emissions

One of the most devastating greenhouse gases is methane, a lot of which is produced by livestock. Livestock produces emissions, most of it from cows. This sector is also growing really fast and as it grows, the emissions in the air are going to increase as well. Pastures replace forests that would otherwise help reduce the carbon dioxide in the air. Fossil fuels and food transportation also contribute to these emissions. If people no longer consumed meat, then there would be a fewer number of animals that are reared for consumption, which would decrease methane emissions. 

Veganism discourages animal cruelty and bad conditions for workers

Many animals in packing farms live in terrible conditions, some in tightly packaged cages for long periods of time. Veganism would also stop the production of unsanitary household products and the harming of animals to make those products. Jobs in the livestock industry affect workers, such as those in slaughterhouses and packing farms. They suffer many injuries and also frequently inhale chemicals from accumulated waste. 

The leftover resources can be used for human consumption 

Contributing more resources, like land, for human consumption would also help feed a growing population in countries and underdeveloped areas. The land used for packing farms or livestock breeding can be converted to farms to grow food to fight hunger. The food that is used to feed livestock that is bred can also be used for this purpose. People who consume meat are eating more nutrients than all the people who do not have food. A study showed that if all Americans went vegan, everyone could be fed, along with 350 million others. 

There are many more reasons why going vegan is beneficial, including helping the economy, reducing the risk of certain diseases and improving health. Veganism is more than just a diet, it is a way to solve many problems that trouble our world today.  If we are not more careful with what we consume on a daily basis, we will bring harm onto ourselves, others and the environment as well. A vegan diet, even if practiced one day a week, will show benefits in the long run!

Hi! My name is Shreevarsha and I am currently a third year in the 6 year B.A./M.D. program at UMKC! My hobbies include doing art and reading!