Bread On Rack
Bread On Rack
Alex Frank / Spoon

Try This Local Business: Blackhole Bakery

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UMKC chapter.

When I moved to Kansas City for college, I was introduced to a whole new world of food and drink. Before college, I really didn’t drink coffee; by second semester, I was drinking a cup every morning, black with a tiny bit of cream. Before college, I hadn’t tried Thai food; now, I almost shed physical tears when my favorite downtown Thai restaurant closed. My roommate and I are avid Yelp users and our Instagram DM conversations are just restaurant posts. Most importantly, I’ve discovered that supporting local restaurants and coffee shops is one of the ways that I can learn more about my community and help small business owners follow their dreams.

One of those small businesses, Blackhole Bakery, is the perfect place to go for a pre-exam or post-exam treat, and after trying their baked goods, you’ll definitely be back! From campus, walk to Troost Avenue (past the library, Katz Hall and the Spencer Chemistry Building), take a right and walk to 55th Street. Cross the street at 55th and it’s in the strip mall next to Reggae Kitchen. They are open Wednesday through Friday from 7 a.m. to 2 p.m., and 8 a.m. to 2 p.m. on Saturday and Sunday. 

Blackhole Bakery opened during the pandemic, but that didn’t stop them from selling out for the first few days after opening and on most weekends. Every time I go in, the people in front of me (socially distanced, of course) seem to order one of everything, which not only takes forever, but raises my fears that I won’t get my preferred pastry. Thankfully, I’ve always gotten something I’ve liked, even if it wasn’t my first choice. Their specialties include bagels, croissants and mochi donuts, which look like gigantic donut holes but are chewy because of their rice flour base. 

Their selections change because the owners are always trying new recipes, but you can always count on the ham & gruyere croissant and the everything bagel to be amazing. Also not to be missed is the homemade cream cheese; you may think that you’ve had good cream cheese, but their onion and chive recipe is worth the walk and more, every single time.  If you’re into sweeter pastries, their blueberry mochi donut is fruity without being artificial, and their danishes are delicious (and have fun flavors like peach and caramelized onions with goat cheese).

For COVID-19 protocols, they’re enforcing social distancing, masks, and sanitizing surfaces in the bakery, and while you can call in an order, they may not answer on busier mornings. However, in this pandemic, local businesses and the foodservice industry are struggling, so if you’re able to, go out and support businesses like Blackhole Bakery! It will not only make your day sweeter, but you’ll be a more active community member and supporter of our local economy.  Be sure to check them out the next time you’re craving something delicious and follow them on Instagram (@blackholebakery) to see some of the goods they sell!

Hi, my name is Caroline Moriarty, and I'm a senior at UMKC majoring in Political Science and minoring in International Studies and Anthropology. I am involved with College Democrats, Student Government Association, the College of Arts and Sciences, and St. Paul's Outreach on campus. I am passionate about helping students become more informed about the world they live in, both locally and beyond.
Krit graduated with English and Chemistry degrees from UMKC. As the President and founder of UMKC’s chapter, she hopes HC UMKC will continue to create content that inspires students. Some of her favorite things include coffee and writing.